Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brick

Options
  • 23-03-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I loved this movie when it came out. Given that it is over 13 years old now some people may not have seen it. It's a great homage to film noir, with the protagonist (Joseph Gordon Levitt) written in the style of Dashiell Hammett.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭tigger123

Heard great things about it but it really failed to live up to the hype for me. Didn't enjoy it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭buried

Great stuff, I have it on here somewhere in DVD. Haven't seen it in years but will always remember the scene in the gaff of the young lad from 'Witness' basement is absolute total genius. Will check it out again

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Loved it when it was in the cinema. Watched it again a few months ago, still excellent. What's the reason for Rian Johnson doing so few films since?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Loved it when it was in the cinema. Watched it again a few months ago, still excellent. What's the reason for Rian Johnson doing so few films since?

I’d say he works at a pretty regular pace for a director who clearly puts a lot of thought and effort into his work :) Some directors can turn out a few films a year, others one or two a decade - like many filmmakers, Johnson is somewhere in the middle with three films and tv work over the course of a decade. Chris Nolan works at a 2-3 year gap between films, and Johnson isn’t too far off that.

Given there are few directors working at a fast pace who don’t start delivering diminishing returns pretty quickly (there are some who turn out good stuff regularly!), I think Johnson’s approach has been just right and comes across in films that reliably feel thoughtfully and carefully crafted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yes I certainly enjoyed Looper and thought it was underrated if anything. The last good Bruce Willis role I can recall and the decrepit future look was executed well. Is The Brothers Bloom worth a watch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes I certainly enjoyed Looper and thought it was underrated if anything. The last good Bruce Willis role I can recall and the decrepit future look was executed well. Is The Brothers Grimm worth a watch?

The Brothers Bloom I'm guessing you mean? ;) Yeah, I liked it a lot, although haven't seen it since its cinema release a good decade ago now so my opinion might prove very different on a rewatch. It's probably the messiest and least consistent of his four features, although does plenty of interesting things - like all his films, it takes some familiar concepts and takes them in unusual and distinct directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭tigger123

Yes I certainly enjoyed Looper and thought it was underrated if anything. The last good Bruce Willis role I can recall and the decrepit future look was executed well. Is The Brothers Bloom worth a watch?

Looper is one of my favourite movies.

Advertisement