Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sna

Options
  • 23-03-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there anyone here a SNA? What qualifications do you have and is there any chance to progress to a resource/learning teacher? What's your experience? I am looking into the different options for a level 5-6 qqi
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

Charlie27 wrote: »
    Hi there anyone here a SNA? What qualifications do you have and is there any chance to progress to a resource/learning teacher? What's your experience? I am looking into the different options for a level 5-6 qqi
    Thanks!

The only way you can progress to a resource/learning support teacher is to train as a teacher. There is no progression within the school system for SNAs. Any SNA who even says they are Senior SNA are fooling themselves- they are only that by virtue of being the first one employed & receiving a title that grants them nothing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks!

To become a teacher you need to do the HDip same as every other teacher
    There are no other routes
    Yet.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charlie27

You see, I have QTS (qualified teacher status) from my PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages obtained in the UK, but I never got the chance to complete the second year and become a fully qualified teacher, in order for me to go back to work in Irish schools I think the only way is to try to get a qqi in SNA as the teaching council won't recognise me as a teacher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You see, I have QTS (qualified teacher status) from my PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages obtained in the UK, but I never got the chance to complete the second year and become a fully qualified teacher, in order for me to go back to work in Irish schools I think the only way is to try to get a qqi in SNA as the teaching council won't recognise me as a teacher...

Once you are an SNA then I doubt you'll be put teaching (maybe if the school can pay you privately).
    You'd be better off career-wise completing the pgce if you could.
    There is a high demand for foreign language teachers here but yould need to be qualified to get the proper pay rates.
    I'm ignorant of the difference between QTS and fully qualified so maybe yould have to weigh it up with more information as transferring into the Irish system can be tricky with the Teaching Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do whatever you need to do to recognised as a language teacher. SNA pay is very poor over here and very difficult to get a full time job in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Thanks!

SNA here, I did my course 3 years ago online, through Chevron Training, a company in Wexford. I'd already had almost 2 years experience in a special education school. Jobs are not easy come by and it took me till this school year to get a permanent job, having previously substituted.
    Teaching is a whole other ballgame as there is no automatic progression for SNA's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SNAs and teachers have two completely different roles. An SNA is granted for care needs, such as toileting , physical needs such as children with physical disabilities and so on.So, you can't go from that into a completely different job like teaching.

Advertisement