Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Masters in Cyber Security in ITB

Options
  • 23-03-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking peoples opinions on the MSc in Computing (Applied Cyber Security) course that Blanchardstown IT is offering.

The course runs for two years x 2 evenings per week. I am considering doing this as a i'm am looking to move into a into Cyber Security role in the future, I work in IT and have a few industry certs such as CCNA, MCSA etc.

Link to the course is: https://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn528.html

Modules are :
    • Digital Forensics
    • Secure Communications and Cryptography
    • Network Security
    • Cyber Crime and Malware
    • Business Continutiy Mgmt
    • Research Skills and Ethics
    • MSc Research Project

Would this be worth doing (it is a Msc at the end of the day so that can only be good) or would I be better doing more industry certs such as the CISSP and CISM?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Razzen

I'm involved teaching on the course so I'm happy to answer any questions on the course structure and running etc. others are probably less biased to say what they think of the actual course itself.

There is a full time version of the course that runs in 1 year (3 semesters, runs over summer) as well as the part time course, which I think is running fully online next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Razzen wrote: »
    I think is running fully online next year.

That does my head in, what dose Blanch IT have over the OU that have been doing this for years or somewhere like DCU. Or any other established university with open access on line. It's a cheap way of delivering a course but it only suits a few students who could get the same or better for less else where. On line is a very poor substitute for attending in person.

It's run in person and online, there is a huge interest from students who wish to do it online rather than having to travel each week. I personally agree that it's not as good as completely in person, but it's an option been offered because students want it.

Don't confuse distance learning with online, AFAIK DCU only offer their security MSc in person, but it could have changed since I was teaching there. The online classes are live lectures that the students can join remotely and still interact with and ask questions etc. it's not a bunch of recorded videos or static slides and notes for self learning.

And the ITB security courses are probably the longest running most established security courses in Ireland, at undergrad and post grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's run in person and online, there is a huge interest from students who wish to do it online rather than having to travel each week. I personally agree that it's not as good as completely in person, but it's an option been offered because students want it.

Don't confuse distance learning with online, AFAIK DCU only offer their security MSc in person, but it could have changed since I was teaching there. The online classes are live lectures that the students can join remotely and still interact with and ask questions etc. it's not a bunch of recorded videos or static slides and notes for self learning.

And the ITB security courses are probably the longest running most established security courses in Ireland, at undergrad and post grad.

I've done in person, OU and DCU (eng course), only in person works for me then rest is completely wasted they don't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

I'm involved teaching on the course so I'm happy to answer any questions on the course structure and running etc. others are probably less biased to say what they think of the actual course itself.

There is a full time version of the course that runs in 1 year (3 semesters, runs over summer) as well as the part time course, which I think is running fully online next year.

Thanks Razzen.

My main questions I suppose are related to the content of each module. Is there any programming involved - if so what languages. Are the modules more practical or theory based?

I would be more inclined to attend the college - are you saying it will be available part-time as both an online and on-site course for 2018-2019?

How does the online program manage projects that are group based?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

That does my head in, what dose Blanch IT have over the OU that have been doing this for years or somewhere like DCU. Or any other established university with open access on line. It's a cheap way of delivering a course but it only suits a few students who could get the same or better for less else where. On line is a very poor substitute for attending in person.

I think the cost factor alone gives ITB an advantage - Irish students don't get the OU subsidized like UK residents so the cost is very high. The cost of this MSc is €4500 in ITB

Sorry to pull the conversation off topic, but is the Masters degree you get at the end going the online route the same Msc? Or does it come with a little asterisk thats says *Online degree?

To the OP, over the years both friends and colleagues have done the Msc in ITB and the ones Ive worked with I can vouch that they come out knowing their stuff. Ive been considering doing it myself for sometime now but getting to Blanch is a pain, and evenings nolonger suit my working schedule.

I'll do my best to answer your questions:
    Are the modules more practical or theory based?

All of the modules are very practical based with plenty of project work required for each module.
    Is there any programming involved - if so what languages.
    Is there programming.. yes and no.. some of the modules definitely benefit by having some programming or scripting but you're free to use any language you wish, for security I personally suggest python. For each assignment that required programming skills we often offer a non programming alternative as some students simply don't have coding skills when they start. So could you get through the course without programming? yes probably but I'd recommend having some coding skills.
    are you saying it will be available part-time as both an online and on-site course for 2018-2019?
    It will likely depend on demand tbh, I don't get a say into which offers the college decide to run with in the end, but if there is interest in each offering they likely will, all of the online live classes are recorded for all groups, to access as resources, so students can review lectures, or catch up on ones they may have missed.

How are group projects handled?...
    On the MSc we don't focus on group projects as much, but there will of course be some group projects. Students use online meeting rooms and other collaboration tools to manage their group work, it's never the same as meeting in person, but it works for people who live far ends of the country or different countries to allow them get the MSc they want in a much more convenient way than having to travel for hours for each class.

Hope that helps

Sorry to pull the conversation off topic, but is the Masters degree you get at the end going the online route the same Msc? Or does it come with a little asterisk thats says *Online degree?.

No the Degree awarded is identical regardless of the model taken to complete it.

All of the modules are very practical based with plenty of project work required for each module.

Is there programming.. yes and no.. some of the modules definitely benefit by having some programming or scripting but you're free to use any language you wish, for security I personally suggest python. For each assignment that required programming skills we often offer a non programming alternative as some students simply don't have coding skills when they start. So could you get through the course without programming? yes probably but I'd recommend having some coding skills.

It will likely depend on demand tbh, I don't get a say into which offers the college decide to run with in the end, but if there is interest in each offering they likely will, all of the online live classes are recorded for all groups, to access as resources, so students can review lectures, or catch up on ones they may have missed.

On the MSc we don't focus on group projects as much, but there will of course be some group projects. Students use online meeting rooms and other collaboration tools to manage their group work, it's never the same as meeting in person, but it works for people who live far ends of the country or different countries to allow them get the MSc they want in a much more convenient way than having to travel for hours for each class.

Hope that helps

Great thanks for the response Razzen. Clears a lot of my questions up.

• Advertisement

Hope that helps

+1 for Python!

Around the time Metasploit moved to Ruby my friend came back from Def Con and said everyone was using Python.

No the Degree awarded is identical regardless of the model taken to complete it.

Hi Razzen,

One other question, I have been looking at other MSc programs and this one in ITB is by far the cheapest. Why is that? Also is this a Research or Taught Masters

Cheers

No idea on the pricing tbh. I know it wasn't the cheapest when it started but they haven't moved the price in some time.

The masters is a taught masters, but at masters level there is always plenty of research elements, it just means you have set modules and a smaller final thesis than a full research masters which would be made up largely of the final thesis and less modules with it, hope that makes sense.

No idea on the pricing tbh. I know it wasn't the cheapest when it started but they haven't moved the price in some time.

The masters is a taught masters, but at masters level there is always plenty of research elements, it just means you have set modules and a smaller final thesis than a full research masters which would be made up largely of the final thesis and less modules with it, hope that makes sense.

Yeah it does, thanks again for the reply!

Advertisement