Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee damaged phone

Options
  • 22-03-2018 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Hi an elderly friend of mine has dropped his phone into a mug of coffee and now it wont turn on anymore. The thing is the phone is a very basic flip top Doro model so is there a reasonable chance of being able to get it working again or should he just bite the bullet and buy a new phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Hi an elderly friend of mine has dropped his phone into a mug of coffee and now it wont turn on anymore. The thing is the phone is a very basic flip top Doro model so is there a reasonable chance of being able to get it working again or should he just bite the bullet and buy a new phone?

If they turned it on when its internals were still wet/didnt make a decent effort of drying it before trying to turn it on again, its done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's probably €60-70 to straight out buy a new one, if it's a Doro 6030 or 6520. Repair costs are probably at least 50% of that. Not worth repairing IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If they turned it on when its internals were still wet/didnt make a decent effort of drying it before trying to turn it on again, its done

Yes, that is what he did, what about the SIM card, any realistic hope that could be salvaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Most shops should replace the SIM for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Yes, that is what he did, what about the SIM card, any realistic hope that could be salvaged?

Stick the im into a phone and check?

The SIM should work. Their contacts may be gone if his/her numbers are saved on the phone(Presuming the phone is broke) and not the sim card. SIMs are easily replaced by networks and free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

My last smart phone eventually came back to life several days after I dropped it down the toilet. Something was shorted in it though as it would never hold a charge afterwards so I replaced it anyway but it at least meant I could get anything that I hadn't backed up off it.

Leave it dry out at least a week before trying it again before giving up on it completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Quackster wrote: »
    My last smart phone eventually came back to life several days after I dropped it down the toilet. Something was shorted in it though as it would never hold a charge afterwards so I replaced it anyway but it at least meant I could get anything that I hadn't backed up off it.

Leave it dry out at least a week before trying it again before giving up on it completely.

The phone was brought into a repair shop yesterday but there was nothing that could be done for it so he had to buy a new phone.

Advertisement