Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance emergency

Options
  • 22-03-2018 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I would greatly appreciate any advice. A friend of mine was involved in a hit and run in California last month. He needed Neurosurgery and is still recovering. He needs a second procedure in the coming weeks.

His insurance (Back packed travel insurance) have given him an ultimatum that he needs to travel back in Ireland and they will be suspending his cover by tomorrow.

His Neurosurgeon has advised and documented that he is still not safe to travel.

I uegently need advice on how to go about reporting this. I will be going to Solicitor first thing in the morning.

You can only imagine the stress for his family right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Contact a solicitor, that doesn't sound like correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Try contacting the Irish Consul - hope that helps

San Francisco
    Consul General: Robert O'Driscoll

Vice Consul: John Callaghan

Consulate General of Ireland
    100 Pine Street
    Suite 3350
    San Francisco CA94111
    USA

Tel: +1 415 392 4214

Fax: +1 415 392 0885

Email: Submit your query

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Firstly sorry about your friend

Have you checked the terms and conditions of his cover?

I.e. what did he actually sign up for/pay for?

Are the insurance company fulfilling this?
    That would be my initial step first before a solicitor.

If they say they'll cover it in the ts and cs and are now saying different ring them and ask them why and probably best to talk to a solicitor.

If the terms and conditions say they will cover x and they have done so and then to get y he has to be at home then I am not sure what you can do??

Check the conditions to see what exactly he is entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if he hasn't been stabilised, he is entitled to care in the US under EMTLA. This is subtle. He is still liable for the charges, but he doesn't have to show the ability to pay in order to remain in the hospital and receive treatment. It only lasts up to a certain point, more or less the point at which he can be transferred to another hospital.

If he runs up a big bill and can't pay, he can go bankrupt in the US.

But the most important thing is that he doesn't feel he is at risk of just being put out on the street.

This is a complicated area. You need good advice both sides of the Pond. If you could get in touch with some sort of patient advocacy group in the US it might be of help.

Advertisement