Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrow road bars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have Richey rm01 I think they're called, they were €16 about, and they're grand and comfy. I don't like compact bars, but they're roomy enough. I'd like a flatter top.
    Looking at the 36cm zipps for the track bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Just be aware when you are looking that the ways bars are measured vary. Deda for example measure outside to outside. Ritchey tend to measure centre to centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a set of 40cm (outside to outside) Deda RHM01 bars which were too narrow for me.

My 'good bike' has 42cm bars soon to be replaced with 44cm.

My winter bike came with 46cm bars as standard (its a gravel bike) with very relaxed geometry and I'm assuming that's why it has 46cm bars but I love them and find them so comfortable and much easier to pedal out of the saddle with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

clog wrote: »
    Just be aware when you are looking that the ways bars are measured vary. Deda for example measure outside to outside. Ritchey tend to measure centre to centre.

Zipps measure from the brake hood position.

Got 38cm track bars (genetic chromosome are the brand), and they're measured c-t-c. They feel really wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've had 3T Ergonova bars on my winter bike for a few years now and I really like them, the slightly ovalised/flattened top section in particular. They are currently £30 from Planet-X (LINK), or the Ergonova Pro are €57.34 from Merlin Cycles (LINK).

They are measured at the drops but at the hoods are 16mm narrower. I've been using a 40cm pair, I bought them without realising that they are approx 38mm at the hoods but I stuck with them regardless as I was curious - I'm persuaded by the view that many of us tend to opt for bars that are a little too big for us and as a consequence we can end up with upper back and/or neck issues as our arms are sitting wider than they "should be" and instead of supporting our torso our torso instead ends up suspended/slumped between the shoulders.

At first the narrowness felt a little odd, particularly when out of the saddle, but not as much as I would have expected. In no time at all I stopped even noticing and the narrower bars (I have 40cm Ritcheys on my race bike) caused me no problems I could discern. During a recent bike fit though it was recommended to me that I replace them with true 40cm bars and I'm going to give 42cm Ergonova's a go and see how that goes. I'm not convinced I really need the extra width, there is a lot of entrenched thinking when it comes to bike fit and some of it seems based more on "because this is how it has always been done" rather than on reasoned analysis, but I'm open to being convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nee wrote: »
    I have Richey rm01 I think they're called, they were €16 about, and they're grand and comfy. I don't like compact bars, but they're roomy enough. I'd like a flatter top.
    Looking at the 36cm zipps for the track bike.
    Seen them, if the others don't come into stock, they will be worth a punt.
    clog wrote: »
    38cm outside to outside is what I am looking at.
    I have a set of 40cm (outside to outside) Deda RHM01 bars which were too narrow for me.

My 'good bike' has 42cm bars soon to be replaced with 44cm.

My winter bike came with 46cm bars as standard (its a gravel bike) with very relaxed geometry and I'm assuming that's why it has 46cm bars but I love them and find them so comfortable and much easier to pedal out of the saddle with them.
    I find wide bars unwieldy. Using Scatto track bars at 34cm and they feel comfy. Sitting on the hoods is not comfy for me.

Advertisement