Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5GhZ smart plugs

Options
  • 22-03-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea where I could get smart plugs that work on the 5GhZ band? I recently upgraded my router to a UPC connect box with everything connected on the 5GhZ band. It does appear to also offer a 2.4GhZ band, but the eWeLink app for my sonoff plugs won't connect as it seems to only be seeing the 5GhZ band so refuses to connect.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are getting into the Home Automation stuff, then I'd recommend investing in a separate good quality 802.11ac wifi router. The ones the ISP supplies are generally junk and cause lots of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I just got UPC to replace my old router with this new one and it's playing quite well with all my devices. I was going to buy a separate router but this newer one have resolved all my issues. All the devices that they've supplied me have been quite good and there was no issues with any of the router admin stuff being locked off. I find UPC Austria to be a far better supplier than back home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure what one you have over there.

Here the newer one from Virgin (UPC) is better, but still nowhere as good as a good third party one.

The older ones had an issue that you could only operate 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both at the same time. I think the newer one supports both at the same time, but uses the same name for both which can cause trouble for some devices.

What I do with my third party one is name each separately, e.g. mywifi2 and mywif5, that avoids issues. Check if you can do that on the UPC supplied one.

It's a new model that they're just rolling out as a trial, I couldn't tell you the model off the top of my head but it's a dramatic improvement on the Thomson! I called to complain that the wifi connectivity had been shocking since they upgraded the cables outside the flat and they immediately sent out this new one.

That sounds exactly like the issue I'm having, both bands are up and working, but I didn't think to rename the 2.4 band. Cheers!

Worked like a charm, cheers bk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Would like to add the the router from virgin/upc is there best yet. I am running tp-link bulbs and plugs with no problems. First time I did not want to buy a third party one.

Here are the specs https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/equipment/

Would like to add the the router from virgin/upc is there best yet. I am running tp-link bulbs and plugs with no problems. First time I did not want to buy a third party one.

Here are the specs https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/equipment/

It is certainly much better then their old ones. But it is still a bit weak in reaching all locations and limits you in doing more advanced admin features.

But I agree, it is probably fine for most people and a decent step up. However I suspect heavy Home Automation users, with lots of IP Cameras, etc. would need something a bit more robust and perhaps a mesh system.

Advertisement