Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor incident query

Options
  • 22-03-2018 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi

Was involved in a minor incident a while back

2 fairly old cars and only scratches to other car and small dent on mine,no injuries and no fault established.

I reported the incident to my insurer as the other party had taken my details.

Last I checked there had been no claim made

At what stage would a claim be closed and do I still need to notify potential insurers going forward if there is no claim involved.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭yer man!

muckbrien wrote: »
    Hi

Was involved in a minor incident a while back

2 fairly old cars and only scratches to other car and small dent on mine,no injuries and no fault established.

I reported the incident to my insurer as the other party had taken my details.

Last I checked there had been no claim made

At what stage would a claim be closed and do I still need to notify potential insurers going forward if there is no claim involved.

Thanks

How far back is a while back? Similar thing happened me and it took about a year until my insurance company agreed to close the case as the third party started proceedings to make a claim and never followed through with it so the insurance company closed it. They mentioned that they would reopen the case if she claimed within timelines stated in law which I think was three years.

Was so annoying having an open case as i couldn't move company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

yer man! wrote: »
    How far back is a while back? Similar thing happened me and it took about a year until my insurance company agreed to close the case as the third party started proceedings to make a claim and never followed through with it so the insurance company closed it. They mentioned that they would reopen the case if she claimed within timelines stated in law which I think was three years.

Was so annoying having an open case as i couldn't move company.

About 10 weeks I think,did your insurance go up at renewal?

I'm half sorry I reported anything but was afraid to leave it.

How long does the incident sit there if the other party doesn't do anything?

What's the story going forward as there doesn't appear to be a claim in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭yer man!

muckbrien wrote: »
    About 10 weeks I think,did your insurance go up at renewal?

I'm half sorry I reported anything but was afraid to leave it.

How long does the incident sit there if the other party doesn't do anything?

What's the story going forward as there doesn't appear to be a claim in the offing.

While the case was pending my insurance company suspended my no claims as a renewal came up after about 3 months after the incident happening. No other company would touch me so I was stick with my current insurer.

Now, the third party in my case started a claim, but my insurance company suspected fraud so wouldn't pay out.

Insurance went up a lot for that. The third party then decided not to proceed with the claim and my company agreed to close the case after a year amd a few months I think. In the end my no claims was gone because the company paid out for legal fees which amounted to €400. I got screwed.

Now my case was kept open because my company suspected the third party of fraud so they wanted to fight it, they were correct as it turns out. The third party was never prosecuted or even contactable once once they realised my insurance were willing to go to court, hence the third part didn't proceed. I still got screwed tho as the cost of legal fees wasn't recoverable from the other side and I lost my no claims.

Insurance is a mine field here unfortunately, if the third party in your case decides to play ball then everything should go smoothly. If they want to claim I'd accept it to be honest, it's not worth fighting it as it's a lose lose for you. You just have to get that claim closed as soon as possible!!

Advertisement