Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about car insurance

Options
  • 22-03-2018 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done to death.
    If I have 30+ days left on my car insurance policy which I paid up front, and I won't be using my car until June this year, if I cancel policy-am I entitled to a part refund ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

D Trent wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been done to death.
    If I have 30+ days left on my car insurance policy which I paid up front, and I won't be using my car until June this year, if I cancel policy-am I entitled to a part refund ?

You should be but it will be a tiny amount, possibly 10-15% after all charges taken, might be better to leave it in play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

You should be but it will be a tiny amount, possibly 10-15% after all charges taken, might be better to leave it in play.

Ok thanks
    What do you mean after all charges taken?
    These sound unscrupulous 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It will be stated in the documents you were given by your insurer.

You will get a refund of whatever is left but they will take an "admin fee", possibly 50 euro but this should be stated in the docs.
    Or you can mail your insurer and ask. Only they will know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Question is your car over 15 years old??

If you cancel you won't get that 1 years no claims.

If you cancel and try and renew and car is old as above it may be extremely difficult to get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think I'd keep it insured, the NCB and the unbroken record, and depending on what the car is, might be worth more to have than any small refund. And the refund will be small.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Suspend the policy.

You will earn the one year ncd and will get a few quid back at renewal date.

Advertisement