Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young Irish juniors in European Championship

Options
  • 21-03-2018 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I went to the chess-results website to look at the results of some players I know in the ongoing European Championship in Batumi, Georgia.

To my surprise, I saw there are two Irish youngsters in the field (brother and sister probably?) and the lad is doing quite well.
    Does anyone know them? Do they actually live in Ireland?
    They have ICU ratings but are not listed as belonging to any club here.

http://chess-results.com/tnr295754.aspxlan=1&art=25&fedb=IRL&turdet=YES&flag=30

Generally the EU Championships, being very strong and a qualifier for the World Cup, only get sub-2200 entries from the host country so this seems quite unusual.

Tarun Kanyamarala (born 2004 according to FIDE with a rating of 1920) has two and a half points from five with an Rp of 2333 at present.

Trisha Kanyamarala (born 2005 but 1956 FIDE) only has one draw so far but she must be pretty strong to get that rating at age 12 and the tournament will I guess be pretty good experience for them both.

The other players with that surname on the FIDE list are registered Indian, and born in the 1970s, parents of the two in the tournament probably?

Good luck to them anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I went to the chess-results website to look at the results of some players I know in the ongoing European Championship in Batumi, Georgia.

To my surprise, I saw there are two Irish youngsters in the field (brother and sister probably?) and the lad is doing quite well.
    Does anyone know them? Do they actually live in Ireland?
    They have ICU ratings but are not listed as belonging to any club here.

http://chess-results.com/tnr295754.aspxlan=1&art=25&fedb=IRL&turdet=YES&flag=30

Generally the EU Championships, being very strong and a qualifier for the World Cup, only get sub-2200 entries from the host country so this seems quite unusual.

Tarun Kanyamarala (born 2004 according to FIDE with a rating of 1920) has two and a half points from five with an Rp of 2333 at present.

Trisha Kanyamarala (born 2005 but 1956 FIDE) only has one draw so far but she must be pretty strong to get that rating at age 12 and the tournament will I guess be pretty good experience for them both.

The other players with that surname on the FIDE list are registered Indian, and born in the 1970s, parents of the two in the tournament probably?

Good luck to them anyway!

Born in Ireland, moving back soon. Have both been over 2000; I think Tarun is 13, Trisha is 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Born in Ireland, moving back soon. Have both been over 2000; I think Tarun is 13, Trisha is 12

That sounds like they will make strong competition for our already outstanding crop of younger juniors.

Tarun lost today and Trisha drew, both against much higher-rated opponents, no disgrace. Rest day tomorrow. Gawain Jones is back in a share of the lead.

Round 7 (of 11) was played today and Gawain Jones is currently in the sole lead on 6. Luke McShane is one of ten players half a point behind.
    The top 23 players will qualify for the 2019 FIDE World Cup.

Our young Irish-Indian star Tarun Kanyamarala is on 3/6 after drawing with an IM today. He gets another IM (his sixth titled opponent) tomorrow.
    His Rp is back over 2300 and this is extremely impressive, though such a long tournament can be tiring for very young players and we mustn't be disappointed if his final result is not quite as good.

More good news: his sister Trisha won today against a 2100 Russian to double her score (now 2/6) and has an Rp over 2000.

Round 7 (of 11) was played today and Gawain Jones is currently in the sole lead on 6. Luke McShane is one of ten players half a point behind.
    The top 23 players will qualify for the 2019 FIDE World Cup.

Our young Irish-Indian star Tarun Kanyamarala is on 3/6 after drawing with an IM today. He gets another IM (his sixth titled opponent) tomorrow.
    His Rp is back over 2300 and this is extremely impressive, though such a long tournament can be tiring for very young players and we mustn't be disappointed if his final result is not quite as good.

More good news: his sister Trisha won today against a 2100 Russian to double her score (now 2/6) and has an Rp over 2000.

https://youtu.be/QkCvtcUJRis

Another draw for Tarun today - this time against a 2384 IM. Trisha lost unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Tarun lost today to a tricky opponent (Scottish FM Alan Tate) but Trisha drew with a 2132 German.

They both have White in the penultimate round tomorrow.

Gawain Jones took an extremely quick draw today on top board with Wojtaszek to consolidate qualifying chances for both.

Luke McShane lost to Korobov, who along with Matlakov joins Jones & the Polish GM in the lead on 7/9.

Trisha drew again and is up to 3 points and Rp 2050. Tarun lost and stays on 3.5. Unfortunately they both have Black in the last round.

Trisha must be getting close to qualifying for the WCM title.

Trisha drew her last game also so they both finished on 3.5/11.
    Ivan Saric won the European title with 8.5/11. Gawain Jones and Luke McShane took quick draws to clinch World Cup qualifying places. (Gawain was already safe but Black against Korobov is not a pairing where you would want to push your luck and end up with a smaller prize.)

Final results are at http://chess-results.com/tnr295754.aspx?lan=1&art=1&rd=11&fedb=IRL&turdet=YES&flag=30

The April FIDE list is up. Trisha Kanyamarala is at 2031 so she can claim the WCM title if she wants.
    Her brother Tarun is on 2031.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Tarun is 2006, not 2031

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    Tarun is 2006, not 2031

Yes, obvious typing error. It was late when I wrote that. 2006 is still very impressive for an Irish 12-year-old, don't you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Oh it's impressive alright; just wanted to clarify the ratings.

cdeb wrote: »
    Oh it's impressive alright; just wanted to clarify the ratings.

Very impressive. Tarun is 13 and Trisha is 12. Trisha is playing in the European Women's Rapid and Blitz Championship at the moment.

She is in the top 25 in the world for girl's under 14 FYI. For girl's under 13, she's in the top 10.

Advertisement