Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror recommendation

Options
  • 21-03-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭

I watched Veronica recently on netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it for a run of the mill horror. Very hard to find a decent one and I've seen most of the 'decent' ones but Veronica was a nice surprise since I never heard of it. So I'd be interested to hear some recommended horrors both old and new.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Beyond Verónica, what horror films have you liked or disliked, and why? The more we know about your tastes the better the suggestions we can offer :)

I really like psychological horror that builds tension and atmosphere with a focus on character, so I have enjoyed the likes of It Follows, The Babadook, The Witch, Under The Shadow, Thelma, Raw, Berberian Sound Studio, American Mary, Excision, Antiviral and Citadel. For "bigger" films with a more varied tone, I also rated the IT remake and Train To Busan (but generally I find big-budget horror doesn't really work for me).

For lower-budget films on streaming services like Netflix I thought that The Void, Yellowbrickroad, The Triangle, The Circle and The Exam - with the latter two being particularly effective in that they are pretty much "group of characters trapped in a room" films, relying therefore on the script and performances to draw you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I must watch. I like a good horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Never enjoyed IT surprisingly. And I love King and some of his better adaptations like The Shining, Carrie, Misery etc. Some of the better horrors of recent times I enjoyed include The Conjuring (although thought the sequel was poor), It Follows, The Babadook as mentioned.

I suppose my favourite type of horror movie would be those that leave your imagination scare you, not a fan of shock horror/slasher movies they are laughable at best. Probably going to get slated but I enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wailin wrote: »
    Never enjoyed IT surprisingly. And I love King and some of his better adaptations like The Shining, Carrie, Misery etc. Some of the better horrors of recent times I enjoyed include The Conjuring (although thought the sequel was poor), It Follows, The Babadook as mentioned.

I suppose my favourite type of horror movie would be those that leave your imagination scare you, not a fan of shock horror/slasher movies they are laughable at best. Probably going to get slated but I enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity...

Have you seen the original of the Japanese film Ju-on: The Grudge?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on:_The_Grudge

Yeah have seen those, and The Ring originals and remakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

The Descent is the scariest movie I have ever seen, I think it's worth a watch.

claresmurf wrote: »

Seen that too! I've seen most if them being a horror fan. But it's nice to come across a surprise like Veronica where I never heard of it but enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The director of Veronica also made [REC].. probably my favourite horror of recent years (well, 2007).

Can't recommend that enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

As mentioned above The descent and Triangle are good horrors on Netflix. Triangle has a bit more than just horror to it.

Check our a french move called Martyrs if you just want to scare the sh*t out of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

It Comes at Nigreat was great. I really, really enjoyed Don't Breathe (there is a bit in the middle that'll make you spit out your tea!). Lights Out was fun. I really liked 10 Cloverfield Lane as well.

If you like foreign films, Train to Busan, The Wailing and The Host are all excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

gargargar wrote: »
    As mentioned above The descent and Triangle are good horrors on Netflix. Triangle has a bit more than just horror to it.

Check our a french move called Martyrs if you just want to scare the sh*t out of yourself.

I was waiting for someone to mention Martyrs. A woefully bad film, badly acted, terrible plot, nothing more there an excuse to show some brutal violence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was waiting for someone to mention Martyrs. A woefully bad film, badly acted, terrible plot, nothing more there an excuse to show some brutal violence.

....or, from another perspective, a harrowing film which, unlike many Anglophone horrors of the last few decades, actually has a thematically interesting reason for its violent and gory content.

For a genre in which entire franchises exist based on terrible plots, terrible acting and a central premise of "immortal serial killers vs teenage stereotypes", Martyrs seems an odd one to single out as "woefully bad".

To be honest, there are a small but growing number of effective and disturbing horror films coming out of France over the last few years. Raw is a recent highlight to my mind, alongside others like Ils, A l'interieur and Martyrs. I'm in two minds about Switchblade Romance in that it was fairly effective for the most part, then goes for one of the most dunderheaded twists I've seen in a horror film.

Some more atmospheric horror films - The Orphanage, The Devil's Backbone, Tésis, La Habitación del Niño, and Sleep Tight are all very good Spanish-language horror films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You are wrong.

A woefully bad film, badly acted, terrible plot, nothing more there an excuse to show some brutal violence.

It is definitely a polarising movie. People naturally have a gut reaction to movies containing torture, but as Fysh said, there was a narrative reason contained in the movie for it in this case.

/Back on to the thread ...

If you didn't see Antchrist its worth checking. While it can be slow I found it very disturbing.

Another enjoyable one was 'As above so below'

+1 on Train to Busan too.

Thanks for the recommedations guys, few there I've never heard of, particularly the foreign ones.

Started Annihilation last night, although not really a horror, more sci fi, found it a turgid affair and gave up after 70 min. On netflix so I can just continue as I want to see how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

"The Haunting", the original from 1963 is quite good
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/?ref_=nv_sr_7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

claresmurf wrote: »

I concur. Probably the best horror film I've ever seen (in the cinema). Was genuinely cacking myself watching it. Don't know how it holds up on TV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

You've probably seen it, but I really like The Others.

Have you watched Sinister OP? I'm getting to the stage now where I'm finding it hard to be really spooked by a horror film but Sinister had me terrified. I also find old fashioned frights like The Omen do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Agreed.. Sinister is a belter..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tobe Hooper’s 1979 adaptation of Salem’s Lot still stands up as a decent horror and adaptation of one of Kings best Novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Agreed.. Sinister is a belter..

Sinister was good alright.
    I thought Insidious was good, had m freaked out for weeks after watching it

Also liked the new IT film as well

Saw Sinister but I must rewatch, didn't think much of it first time around. Just didn't give it much attention. The Descent is a great horror, watched it on it's release. Deserves a second viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Trying to find “Ravenous” to watch again. It’s a 1999 Movie with Guy Pearce as a shamed war Veteran and Robert Carlisle as a delightedly horrible villain who dials it up past crazy levels of sinister wickedness!!!

When I originally watched it I absolutely loved it. It’s extremely slow at times , very quirky and won’t be for everyone.

I’m
    Listening to the soundtrack , love some of the songs which I believe was made in collaboration with Damon Alburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Drumpot wrote: »
    Trying to find “Ravenous” to watch again. It’s a 1999 Movie with Guy Pearce as a shamed war Veteran and Robert Carlisle as a delightedly horrible villain who dials it up past crazy levels of sinister wickedness!!!

When I originally watched it I absolutely loved it. It’s extremely slow at times , very quirky and won’t be for everyone.

I’m
    Listening to the soundtrack , love some of the songs which I believe was made in collaboration with Damon Alburn.

It's on either netflix or amazon prime, have seen it on one or the other recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Is it just me who thought Veronica was ****e.Wasnt scary at all.

I find with a lot of films lately,the idea starts out good but it just loses the plot so it can have a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's on either netflix or amazon prime, have seen it on one or the other recently.

Thanking you. Hope I enjoy it as much as I remember it!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

dubstarr wrote: »
    Is it just me who thought Veronica was ****e.Wasnt scary at all.

I find with a lot of films lately,the idea starts out good but it just loses the plot so it can have a sequel.

I thought the exact same to be honest. I was bitterly disappointed as Rotten Tomatoes had dubbed it "the scariest horror movie since The Exorcist" - which I love - but for me Veronica just did not compare.

OK OP well here's some horrors I love:

Insidious (all of them)
    The Collector
    The Collection (sequel to above)
    The Crucifixion
    House on Willow Street
    The Possession
    Exeter (shown on Sky 319 Horror Channel from time to time)
    Laid to Rest
    Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2 (sequel to above) and apparently a 3rd movie is currently in development for release this year.

I could probably rattle off a load more, BTW if anyone has any recommendations for horror movies with loads of gore, thrills or anything on possession/exorcisms feel free to mention!

• Advertisement

Another good one which slipped under the radar was The Innkeepers.

Advertisement