Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner angler in Dublin - best place to start?

Options
  • 21-03-2018 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Did a touch of angling when I was younger (under ten in Cork) and after getting an interest in getting back into it (currently 31) with a buddy of mine - both based in Dublin and wouldn't have touched a rod in over 20 years.

Curious for tips from more seasoned anglers - best ways to get back into the swing of things, beginner kits you'd recommend, licensing considerations I'd need to keep in mind?

I'll be doing a bit of digging myself, but just curious to see what the more experienced would recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try fly fishing on the dodder. First go to one of the trout lakes in Wicklow and get casting lessons. Then get gear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey Suttree

What type of fishing are you looking at starting? What species are you after? It all depends on those 2 questions what direction you need to move in.

If your doing what you were doing years ago then I'd presume your looking at coarse rather than fly and definitely no beach :D

There is some really really good quality budget gear available. you can get a new setup ready to fish for €50 or €60 everything included.

Let me know the species and i'll link you to some good gear and helpful sites and videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 suttree31

Thanks for the replies lads.
    Try fly fishing on the dodder. First go to one of the trout lakes in Wicklow and get casting lessons. Then get gear

Myself and the mate have found a site that'll do lessons (day of fishing and equipment hire) for €50, which seems reasonable enough - this'll be our first port of call.
    ardinn wrote: »
    Hey Suttree

What type of fishing are you looking at starting? What species are you after? It all depends on those 2 questions what direction you need to move in.

If your doing what you were doing years ago then I'd presume your looking at coarse rather than fly and definitely no beach :D

There is some really really good quality budget gear available. you can get a new setup ready to fish for €50 or €60 everything included.

Let me know the species and i'll link you to some good gear and helpful sites and videos.

Wouldn't have any particular preference at the moment - coarse fishing as you mentioned seems to be the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

If your starting out you should probably get yourself a Match rod and reel to start with! Float fishing is how most people start out!
    You could get yourself a good setup rod and reel from up to 60 euro in one of the tackle shops in Dublin, I would recommend ABC Tackle Shop in the city center beside the Four Courts. Don't buy any starter kits, they are usually badly made! We have the Royal Canal on the Northside of the city and the Grand Canal on the Southside were you can catch Roach, Perch, Rudd and if you go further out of the city you can catch Bream and Tench, the canals also hold Pike in some stretches.

You could start out Fly fishing but it is very complicated and getting yourself a decent Fly rod and Reel could set you back over a 100 euro, Plus 25 euro for a season thicket on the Tolka and the Dodder each. You don't need a Season Pass for the canals!

There are plenty of How to Float fish videos on Youtube that will show you how to setup all your gear, what baits to use and when and where to fish. Matt Hayes has a few how to fish videos on Youtube that are very helpful!

You could also try Feeder Fishing once you get a bit of experience, it is a lethal way to fish and my favorite way of fishing! Matt Hayes also has, How to Feeder fish videos on Youtube, you should check them out so you can learn at least the basics of fishing!

Remember! Fishing is more than just catching fish, more than likely you will blank the first few sessions you go on, but keep at it, the more experience you gain the more likely you will start to bag up and even if you don't its great to get out into the sunshine and nature cause that's what it is really all about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just a tenner for the Dodder licence, still good value to be had southside ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 suttree31

One of my main concerns is how to properly practice catch and release with minimal problems for the fish, so I'm guessing this is where lessons (and a bit of digging online myself) will come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

suttree31 wrote: »
    One of my main concerns is how to properly practice catch and release with minimal problems for the fish, so I'm guessing this is where lessons (and a bit of digging online myself) will come in.

Minimal interaction with the fish? Pinch down the barb first. Use a net with the kind of rubber that doesn’t take off the mucus off the fish. Use hemostats or forceps to debarb hooks and take hooks out of fish quickly. Keep your hand wet when u grab the fish.
    I could be wrong on the next one but if the fish has swallowed the hook it’s best to kill it quickly. Carry a priest for this. Lots of great videos on YouTube to help you out.

Advertisement