Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a limited company be the school patron?

Options
  • 21-03-2018 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across this before, I'm considering a school for my kids but the setup of the school seems unusual. For example the secondary school is DES registered but as a limited company???

Seems like a very unusual setup, has anyone ever seen this type of arrangement before?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some Gaelscoileanna are technically under a limited company, An Foras Pátrúnachta na Scoileanna LánGhaeilge Teo.

An Foras Patrunachta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

spurious wrote: »
    Some Gaelscoileanna are technically under a limited company, An Foras Pátrúnachta na Scoileanna LánGhaeilge Teo.

An Foras Patrunachta

Is that an actual Ltd under the Companies Act? It could be an unincorporated entity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that an actual Ltd under the Companies Act? It could be an unincorporated entity.

I have no idea what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

spurious wrote: »
    I have no idea what that means.

There doesn't seem be a limited company with that name so how do you know it's a company?

Some people refer to businesses or groups as a company however a limited company has a specific status within the companies act which is why it is unusual for a school to be operated through a limited company because they are within the scope of the Companies Act as opposed to Education Act 1988.

It is described as a limited company in a number of Irish language websites.
    One such site (translation) describes it "The Foundation is a limited company without a share capital".

I don't know, can you call yourself a limited company if you're not?
    Should this be in Legal Discussion?

What difference would it make to day to day running/child's experience of the school?
    Is the school you were considering a Gaelscoil?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Educate Together is also under the patronage of a limited company:
    https://www.educatetogether.ie/about/boards-of-management

For me, it would depend on whether the school was part of a nationwide company, like the Foras Gaelscoileanna and the ETs or a "one off."
    One or two one or places have odd set ups and rules. Remember this one?
    https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Whole-School-Evaluation-Reports-List/report2_65241N.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Many charities are actually Companies Limited by Guarantee (ClG) - I imagine a charity being a patron would not be unusual.

Advertisement