Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding away skybox etc

Options
  • 21-03-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Not strictly automation related but was just reading a different thread and came across this from BK
    bk wrote: »
    Also some people like to hide their Sky Q box away in a utility room, rather then have it under the TV. It can make your living room look much nicer and neater and can keep expensive boxes away from sticky fingers.

Didn't want to hijack the thread so said I'd start a new one. Basically I'm in the process of building and will be meeting the electrician in the next few weeks to discuss what we want. Have been gathering great info from this forum so thanks for that!

Basically as mentioned above it seems possible that I could have sky box hidden away in utility room along with smart hub, WiFi router etc but still be able to control it from in front of the TV. What exactly would I need for this type of set up? Sounds like a great idea to save clutter in the TV area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I have just received my coms box last week,

Have house wired with cat6.
    Switches, splitters and hdmi-RJ45 modules on the way,
    Harmony remote awaiting to be opened, and brand new 55 in tv to sit on the wall once i get final paint coat on.

Then its a case of getting everything to talk to harmony and set the switch ports and I should be set.

Will do a demo and how to once its done, but wont be doing it for a month or two.

Tv should sit on wall with no other electrical device in sitting room, the rest of gadgets tucked away in study.
    Essentially cable free.

Even wired a switch for tv socket to go on opposite wall beside light switch.

Its easy to set up, but know how and a little learning curve is needed.

Similiar to what i mentioned here is a common and practical route.
    Basically 2 Cat 6 wires to the tv from the sky box.

IOT.png

A very quick version of what I am planning,

Also ran extra cat 6 to back of each telly to hardwire a ethernet port.
    Ran another CAT6 to the wall for if i ever wanted to add a wifi hub or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭insular1

Thanks BDP. Yeah from reading here I had planned cat 6 from the utility to every room in the house as well as to the garage and gate in case garage ever becomes an office and in case I ever get a fancy electric gate or something.

So as well as this it sounds like your doing 3 cat6 to your TV's? One for Ethernet and 2 for sky box? Why does sky box need 2?

So far my plan to cover future home automation is a central electronics hub in the utility (routers, boxes, smartthings hub etc) Cat 6 from here to everywhere, deep back boxes for all switches and plugs to facilitate fibaro dimmers or similar switch. Anything else I'm missing or should consider?

Smart heating is there,
    But if your new build your prob A2W and UFH which is more constant than oil and rads and needs less tuning for home and away.

2 cat6 cables are needed to to convert from hdmi, unless you wish to use 1 cat6 and a plug.
    81213.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭insular1

Yeah, UF heating and A2W. given the insulation of the build we've been advised to just leave the system on the whole time and it shouldn't cost too much to run so not really considering automation for this.

I'm also planning to include charge points for electric car future proofing. Anyone know if there's much point running a cat 6 out to the charge point location in case future cars require constant internet access or is that just overdoing it?

Thanks for the info on HDMI conversion, will look into it more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

insular1 wrote: »
    I'm also planning to include charge points for electric car future proofing. Anyone know if there's much point running a cat 6 out to the charge point location in case future cars require constant internet access or is that just overdoing it?

I think most EV's connect to your home wifi or have their own 3G/4G Sim card. I haven't heard of any that uses cat6 to connect.

You should ask over on the EV forum for more info about this, they have certain recommendations about cable gauge, etc. you should use.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

insular1 wrote: »
    Thanks BDP. Yeah from reading here I had planned cat 6 from the utility to every room in the house as well as to the garage and gate in case garage ever becomes an office and in case I ever get a fancy electric gate or something.

So as well as this it sounds like your doing 3 cat6 to your TV's? One for Ethernet and 2 for sky box? Why does sky box need 2?

So far my plan to cover future home automation is a central electronics hub in the utility (routers, boxes, smartthings hub etc) Cat 6 from here to everywhere, deep back boxes for all switches and plugs to facilitate fibaro dimmers or similar switch. Anything else I'm missing or should consider?

Ask about neutral cables and if you need to put them in every connection.

I'd run more than 1 CAT 6 everywhere. Or worst case leave in draw cables where you might want to put a camera.

Outdoor CAT 6 as well for where it's required.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    A very quick version of what I am planning,

Also ran extra cat 6 to back of each telly to hardwire a ethernet port.
    Ran another CAT6 to the wall for if i ever wanted to add a wifi hub or anything else.

Can I ask on this set up. Does it mean you can play PS/run Android TV on any of the 3 TV's?

How does that work with say PS controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The sky Q 2TB box uses a Bluetooth remote , you just need to run a hdmi between the utility room and the box. It also uses WiFi.

So depending on the distance you mightn’t need the converters

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I have an eir TV box that I would like to put out of sight in an existing comms hub. The problem is the box only functions properly over powerline adapters rather than over CAT6. I have a gigabit switch in the comms hub but presume it won't work in that location?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Can I ask on this set up. Does it mean you can play PS/run Android TV on any of the 3 TV's?

How does that work with say PS controller?

You can watch any of them on any tv, but your broadcasting the same to each.

You cant watch ps on 1 tv and androind on another(Well without getting up to coms box and plugging the playstation directly to one HDMI-RJ45 and bypassing the switch)

Then the ps controller should work ok if your not 2 far away.

Advertisement