Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early pregnancy Scan question

Options
  • 20-03-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is it a external or internal scan ? I have to go in the morning this is my first pregnancy just having like period pains so my gp told me to go up just to be safe . Really worried incase it's a internal scan I would be so embarrassed and nervous . What did they do to u?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's usually an internal scan. but honestly, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll undress from the waist behind a curtain and get on the bed with a sheet of tissue covering you to your knees. The nurse will dim the lights and come around the curtain when you are ready. She'll position your legs but she wont actually see all that much, as she's turned towards the screen, not you and uses that to guide where she needs to see rather than looking between your legs.

The wand is a bit like a super tampon only longer, and they are very gentle with it. Once you see things on the screen you'll forget about where the wand is.

i had one, its not that different to going for a smear, except a bit easier actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

How many weeks are you op?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The thought of it is worse than actually getting it done. I had loads of them when I was getting fertility treatment (at least 2 a month for 9 months) and as Neyite said, they dim the lights and spend most of the time looking at the screen. There were some months where I’d be mortified at the thought of it while waiting because I’d realise I forgot to shave my legs or something but when I got in there I’d realise it’s too dark to see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Shaunanevin it's amazing how we do get embarrassed about these things but really try to remember that the staff assisting you are all professionals and while it's out of the ordinary for you, they do this so many times a day that it's so normal and run of the mill for them. They won't remember you from the person before and after you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I has a scan at 7 weeks and it wasn't internal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They usually try external first and if they can't see what they need, they will do internal.

Advertisement