Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masonry paint and frost

Options
  • 20-03-2018 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭

hi- any painting and decorating experts in here (or builders as well) - i took advantage of the sunny day today , temps were about 10/11c or thereabouts nice little breeze in places so I took advantage and painted the capping on my outside wall with white masonry paint. I would say i finished up about 4.30pm and it was still very pleasant.

Its 10.30pm now and just looked at the outside temp thermometer and it reports its (minus) 2.1c

whats the consequences now with the Masonry paint? - is it ruined now. I cannot remember the drying times on the side of the bucket now but are we talking that it should have something about 18hrs of drying time ideally?

is it ruined now do you reckon and if its not dried fully would there be a chance that when (if) temps pick up again in the daytime it will finish off drying ok and be fine do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

hi- any painting and decorating experts in here (or builders as well) - i took advantage of the sunny day today , temps were about 10/11c or thereabouts nice little breeze in places so I took advantage and painted the capping on my outside wall with white masonry paint. I would say i finished up about 4.30pm and it was still very pleasant.

Its 10.30pm now and just looked at the outside temp thermometer and it reports its (minus) 2.1c

whats the consequences now with the Masonry paint? - is it ruined now. I cannot remember the drying times on the side of the bucket now but are we talking that it should have something about 18hrs of drying time ideally?

is it ruined now do you reckon and if its not dried fully would there be a chance that when (if) temps pick up again in the daytime it will finish off drying ok and be fine do you reckon?

It depends on the paint and a bit of luck.

I did some masonry painting before the new year on a small patch. Same as yourself painted in the day and it was warmish but dropped down to around zero at night. It seems to be fine after 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

thanks it was just cheap ol Homebase own white masonry paint - been out today to have a close look, seems like its dried OK. Time will tell, I suppose if it flakes or comes off its not the end of the world, just paint it again easily enough.

Advertisement