Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl advice

Options
  • 20-03-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi I'm a 37 year old woman in need of a change. I'm interested in doing a TEFL course to teach English abroad..any advice on best part time course would be appreciated as I work fulltime at a dead end job..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Id recommend you do a CELT or CELTA - you dont say where abouts you are so youre probably best to Google those yourself in your area. You could do an online TEFL but you wont find work as easily unless youre looking to work in Summer camps or Asia but even at that the pay wont be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 claireshaughs

I'm in Offaly but I would travel..CELTA looks like the better option but they seem to be fulltime courses

Is it worth it taking the four weeks or six weeks off and do the CELTA course

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

As far as I know, it's possible to do the CELTA online too. Although it takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I did my CELTA (full time) years ago in International House. They do a part time option too:

http://www.ihdublin.com/courses/teacher-training/part-timeonline-celta/

• Advertisement

I did read that but with the online you have to do some on campus at half two mondays and Wednesday..better off doing it intensively for a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Celt is the Irish version - its just as good and equally recognised but about 500 euro cheaper than CELTA which is the UK qualification. Its worth doing, the pay is good and you can get work in Ireland with it, you can also earn up to 20 euro an hour. Ive not done the course myself but have been considering it for ages - its just the money thats stopping me but ive done loads of research into it - asked friends and acquaintances who've done the course - Its very very intensive, like they told me theyve never been so tired in their life while doing the course but it seems worth it as theyre all employed as english teachers. I think for most CELT and CELTA courses youre required to have an undergrad degree in any subject.

Advertisement