Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving minibus as a sole trader- public liability insurance required?

Options
  • 20-03-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Am driving a minibus for a transport company bringing children to school. Operater has requested I become a sole trader and I agreed- am I exposed to public liability or would his PLI cover me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

If you are going to operate this business in your own name you will need your own insurance policy on the minibus. The transport company’s policy won’t suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You would also need to check your tax status. If you're pretty much only driving for him, you're an employee no matter what he requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Thanks! No I'm not operating a business in my own name, the company has a contract with bus eireann. I've declared my sole trader status to revenue

Then why does the operator want you to become a sole trader?

Company is not paying employer prsi anymore and doesn't have to pay accountant to process payments to me

• Advertisement

So would you still be registered as an employee of the company? From the details you have given I would say that you wouldn’t be

That's my thinking and my reason for starting this thread

Then I would stand by my opinion that you would need your own insurance. You should consult with a good insurance broker

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who owns the bus you would be driving? I'm not sure you could even get PL insurance if driving a bus owned by another company.

Do you realise you're also losing your holiday pay and unemployment insurance?

The company with the contract owns the bus. I'm aware of holiday pay/ insurance thanks

• Advertisement

You won’t get insurance on a bus you don’t own

Advertisement