Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this route allow me to be on teaching council?

Options
  • 20-03-2018 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi folks,

I have an honours degree in Business Management. I also run my own company.

I’m wondering if I do a post grad diploma in Adult Education would this allow me recognition with the teaching council?

I’d like to work with adults or school leavers in VEC’s and literacy services etc and I’m not quite sure if this is the right route.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

You could just register under further education with your degree and get a teaching council number that way, see if you like teaching and then do the course.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Teacher-Education/Further-Education-General-and-Programme-Requirements-for-the-Accreditation-of-Teacher-Education-Qualifications.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16 back2school

Hey thanks for your reply.
    Do I not need to do the h dip in adult education teaching first to be on tbt teaching council? I read the requirements and they want you to have a teaching qualification also.
    I find it all so confusing!

M
    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    You could just register under further education with your degree and get a teaching council number that way, see if you like teaching and then do the course.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Teacher-Education/Further-Education-General-and-Programme-Requirements-for-the-Accreditation-of-Teacher-Education-Qualifications.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Postgrad10 wrote: »

AFAIK that loophole has closed. A teaching qualification is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Since when ? I know someone who got in through in the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Same as that Postgrad10, I know 5/6 people registered with just a degree in the past couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Best to contact the TC directly and ask , I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

The teaching requirements for further education aren't being implemented. I recently did the postgrad dip in further education and we were told that all FE teachers have to have this degree, I went for an interview and they had never heard of the course, I had to explain it to them. One of the teachers was chatting to me before the interview and I told her im a recent graduate of an adult ed teacher training course..she hadn't a clue what it was and she was very undermining about it.
    When I was on work experience during the course most of the teachers I worked with wearnt teacher trained and some of them only employed within the last 2 - 4 years. Again theyd never heard of the course.
    Its a real shame that ETBs arent implementing educational requirements for new teachers.
    Id recommend the course to anyone regardless, if youre thinking of doing it then go for it. Its not just about the piece of paper at the end, you really learn so much, I went through huge personal growth and development on the course - its the best thing I ever did, im only sorry I didnt take out a loan and do it years ago. Its opened so many doors for me. Also the more people that do it the more wildly known it will become and maybe this will encourage ETB's to higher their standards when employing new teachers.
    If you want to teach adult Lit you need to do a separate 10 week course. Contact NALA, DALC or your local ETB will probably have adult lit training courses.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 back2school

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I am not sure if my degree (BA in Bus. Management) is even recognised by the Teaching Council.

The lady on the phone and by email was useless!

So are you saying I can apply with just a degree and don't need the teaching post grad?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can volunteer to work in literacy services. See does it suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I am not sure if my degree (BA in Bus. Management) is even recognised by the Teaching Council.

The lady on the phone and by email was useless!

So are you saying I can apply with just a degree and don't need the teaching post grad?!

As far as I know you can register with the teaching council with any degree. Some of the tutors I worked with had no degree at all and were registered and yes you can apply with no teacher teaching.

• Advertisement
Advertisement