Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed signs on lamp posts

Options
  • 20-03-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

on my last recent visit to UK I noticed on the main A-roads (which would be our N-Roads) that they attached smaller maximum speed limit signs on say every 3rd lamp post in the set.

So you had your say 40mph large sign and then on every 3rd lamp post you had a smaller 40mph round sign strapped to the lamp post with a metal bracket. Quite handy I think if when you get that moment when you think to yourself - "I wonder what the speed limit is on this road?"

I dont think Ireland do that.. or do they? - don't think I have seen the smaller speed signs down our way like that.

Good idea do you think - just to remind people what the speed limit is on the road you are travelling.

Also noted that all their road signs including speed limit signs, no entry signs, one way street signs, roundabout signs where nearly all illuminated regardless whether there are street lights around or not. Either back-lighted (old signs) by fluorescent tube at back and transparent plastic sign on front, or Flourescent light above them ... or recently now replaced with LED light shining down onto the sign. And on their road islands where they have the keep left arrow, either vertical flourescent tube or Light built into the ground shining up into the keep left box sign. and lights over the Direction mileage signs to places (again most probably changed over to LED light now)

We seem in Ireland not to have any of these road signs lit up and just rely on motorists headlamps to light them up at night even on main carriageways .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The main road into my village has one of those radar sign posts that displays your speed as you pass it. It's positioned a few hundred meters back from a pedestrian crossing and nearly every vehicle that passes it is exceeds the 50kph limit despite the sign post flashing their speed. Do they heed it? Not at all, the only thing that they slow down for is either someone using the pedestrian crossing or the que of traffic trying to get through the narrow main street of the village. The radar sign might as well not be there. Money would be better spent on putting up a fixed speed camera as it would pay for itself within weeks.

So the drivers who usually need to be reminded of the speed limit probably don't care all that much until they see or get caught by a gatso van. Sticking speed signs on every 2nd or 3rd lamp post won't change a thing for those who don't care imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

bazz26 wrote: »
    The main road into my village has one of those radar sign posts that displays your speed as you pass it. It's positioned a few hundred meters back from a pedestrian crossing and nearly every vehicle that passes it is exceeds the 50kph limit despite the sign post flashing their speed. Do they heed it? Not at all, the only thing that they slow down for is either someone using the pedestrian crossing or the que of traffic trying to get through the narrow main street of the village. The radar sign might as well not be there. Money would be better spent on putting up a fixed speed camera as it would pay for itself within weeks.

So the drivers who usually need to be reminded of the speed limit probably don't care all that much until they see or get caught by a gatso van. Sticking speed signs on every 2nd or 3rd lamp post won't change a thing for those who don't care imo.

I suppose the only thing it could do is reinforce if the Guards pulled you over and if you turned round to them and said "I wasnt aware of what the speed limit was on this road" they could say "There are enough signs telling you what the speed limit is!"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt that using ignorance as a defense would go far with them anyway, they hear it every day. I'd rather just admit no defence and hope they just let you off with a reading of the riot act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

bazz26 wrote: »

That's all true, but they would benefit an awful amount of people trying to obey. I've often wondered what the limit was on a road and could drive a few miles before I find out

That's all true, but they would benefit an awful amount of people trying to obey. I've often wondered what the limit was on a road and could drive a few miles before I find out

i've done the same quite regularly - even last week I was just travelling from Sligo to Athlone last week and I was on this particular road which was quite wide and straight and I got that feeling "I wonder if this road is 100km/h?" just seemed like it should be ... but a few hundred yards up ahead where some road signs and the actual road I was travelling on was turned out to actually be set at 80km/h and not 100km/h luckily I was sticking to under 80km/h just to be sure - but I suppose if I were stopped doing 100km/h on it that I would have been done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Could definitely do with more speed signs. There's been quite a few times where I've been driving along and haven't seen a speed sign for some time.

One example is the quays in Dublin, last April the speed limit of 30kph was extended down to Hueston but there's no signs for it, just the old signs at Jervis St onwards. There's no point in dropping speeds all over Dublin if there isn't any signage for it.

Then again who cares. It isn't policed anyway. They'd make an absolute fortunate with speed cameras on the M50 or by policing speeding and red light running in the city but they obviously don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Presumably you know what type of road your are on?
    Generally 120kmh Motorway, 100kmh N, 80kmh R and L, 60kmh Edge of Urban areas, 50kmh Urban, 30kmh DCC.

If you are in an urban or semi urban areas, just drop to 50 kmh, if your are unsure.

Vronsky wrote: »
    Presumably you know what type of road your are on?
    Generally 120kmh Motorway, 100kmh N, 80kmh R and L, 60kmh Edge of Urban areas, 50kmh Urban, 30kmh DCC.

If you are in an urban or semi urban areas, just drop to 50 kmh, if your are unsure.

I find it doesnt always work out like that though - be great if it did . Even that road I was on was an N-Road ... should have been 100km/h then with that logic ... but for some reason it was set at 80

this interesting "A restricted road that has a system of street lighting in place with lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart on such roads the speed limit is set at 30 mph"

Is there a system over here where the spacing between street lighting denotes what the speed limits is on a road?

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/watch-out-for-lamposts-to-avoid-a-speeding-fine#

'Repeater signs' - they appear to be called in UK

this one on lamp post

repeater-sign_med_hr.jpeg

or if no lamp post available .. dotted on a pole along the route:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK0qGpWMN3BQ9KJDmO1x_TtPEwmbD9S3u3gK0OHDNSQ7uwmEZ5

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I find it doesnt always work out like that though - be great if it did . Even that road I was on was an N-Road ... should have been 100km/h then with that logic ... but for some reason it was set at 80

The old N Roads used to be 100 when all the traffic was using them, that was perfectly safe.
    Then the (tolled) motorways came and suddenly they were death traps and had to be limited to 80. Shure wouldn't you rather use this shiny new motorway? T'will cosht ya.
    Some hopeless cynics might suggest that this 40 km/h speed limit difference might be to force people onto the (tolled) motorway, but surely that can't be...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i've done the same quite regularly - even last week I was just travelling from Sligo to Athlone last week and I was on this particular road which was quite wide and straight and I got that feeling "I wonder if this road is 100km/h?" just seemed like it should be ... but a few hundred yards up ahead where some road signs and the actual road I was travelling on was turned out to actually be set at 80km/h and not 100km/h luckily I was sticking to under 80km/h just to be sure - but I suppose if I were stopped doing 100km/h on it that I would have been done

What was the speed limit on the road you were originally on? If there's no sign prior to entering the next road, you should be assuming you are to continue driving upto the same speed limit.

Another thing to consider is that when you saw 80, it's just as likely the limit could be reduced from that point. Not that it is 80 before it.

Advertisement