Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House burglary Merlin - €1,500 for return of laptop

Options
  • 19-03-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Our home in the Merlin area of Galway was burglered on Saturday last (St. Patricks day). Among the items that were was a laptop, which is a work related laptop that contained very specific software, which would useless to other people but of great value and importance to me. I am offering a €1,500 reward for its return, no questions asked. This is much more than the value of the laptop, which I stress again is of huge importance to me.

If anybody has any information please contact me directly, or the Galway gardai, who have been very helpful. The other items stolen from our home can be replaced, but if anybody has any idea about the whereabouts of a silver Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop please get in touch.

I know this is probably the best place to post this but I really am desperate

lenovo_yoga_900_review_09-1024x584.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Really really hope you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I wish you every bit of luck but we had something similar in the past and paid nearly a grand a gigabyte to recover on what was a smashed laptop, data is the new gold. I hope you had it backed up. Pure scumbags to do that to you and invade your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Really really hope you get it back.

Thanks, I really hope so too. I would have preferred they take the car and all other contents of the house such is the personal value

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good luck, I know how valuable the data on a business laptop can be.
    I hope at least some of the data was backed up offsite so it's not all lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Keep an eye on Donedeal and Adverts, and wouldn't hurt to pass information to the likes of CEX or Cash Creators about this specific case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

Keep an eye on Donedeal and Adverts, and wouldn't hurt to pass information to the likes of CEX or Cash Creators about this specific case.

Good luck op!

Is the likes of cex allowed to take a laptop without a receipt,surely that's only encouraging theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

muckbrien wrote: »
    Good luck op!

Is the likes of cex allowed to take a laptop without a receipt,surely that's only encouraging theft?

Who would have a receipt for a few year old laptop? CEX would only take a working laptop. Being a work laptop, I imagine it's got bitlocker etc. The only way to get any life out of it would be to swap the disk and do a clean rebuild of the OS. That's a lot of effort for a thief - if they even know how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

theteal wrote: »
    Who would have a receipt for a few year old laptop? CEX would only take a working laptop. Being a work laptop, I imagine it's got bitlocker etc. The only way to get any life out of it would be to swap the disk and do a clean rebuild of the OS. That's a lot of effort for a thief - if they even know how to do it.

Me anyway, I file receipts for expensive items.

Contact Lenovo support and see what they can do
    http://support.lenovo.com/en/

biko wrote: »
    Contact Lenovo support and see what they can do
    http://support.lenovo.com/en/

I'll do that now. Thanks, I have the order from when I purchased directly anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

theteal wrote: »
    Who would have a receipt for a few year old laptop?

Most people that bought their laptop online would be able to dig out the email receipt.

J o e wrote: »
    Most people that bought their laptop online would be able to dig out the email receipt.

Yes, I have the receipt, it was purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If you link your twitter and facebook, I'll certainly spread the news. Good luck with it.

dok_golf wrote: »
    If you link your twitter and facebook, I'll certainly spread the news. Good luck with it.

Thanks so much, I have it posted in a few places, including the "This is Galway" facebook page.

Link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

muckbrien wrote: »
    Good luck op!

They do require you have an account opened with photo ID to trade anything in.

That said, stolen stuff does inevitably pass through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Can you get this publisied throughout the university, twitter or whatever internal mail they use, especially the IT department.

Does this laptop have an associated gmail account.?

Can you get this publisied throughout the university, twitter or whatever internal mail they use, especially the IT department.

Does this laptop have an associated gmail account.?

Great idea with the Uni's, I will do that tomorrow. And yes, it has a gmail account, I have 2 factor verification on which is a plus at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Share to the Galway Advertiser and Connaught Tribune pages on Facebook. You may need to request from them to do so.

Between them they have over 150,000 followers, it'll get shared galore from there.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

jamesozzie wrote: »
    Our home in the Merlin area of Galway was burglered on Saturday last (St. Patricks day). Among the items that were was a laptop, which is a work related laptop that contained very specific software, which would useless to other people but of great value and importance to me. I am offering a €1,500 reward for its return, no questions asked. This is much more than the value of the laptop, which I stress again is of huge importance to me.

If anybody has any information please contact me directly, or the Galway gardai, who have been very helpful. The other items stolen from our home can be replaced, but if anybody has any idea about the whereabouts of a silver Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop please get in touch.

I know this is probably the best place to post this but I really am desperate

lenovo_yoga_900_review_09-1024x584.jpg

I wish you well in its recovery. What were the circumstances of the burglary? What time of day was it? How did they gain entry? It must have been upsetting to you.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Share to the Galway Advertiser and Connaught Tribune pages on Facebook. You may need to request from them to do so.

Between them they have over 150,000 followers, it'll get shared galore from there.

Good luck.

Thanks, I will do that now.

• Advertisement

I hope this thread has at least triggered one or two people to back up their data onto another device.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I wish you well in its recovery. What were the circumstances of the burglary? What time of day was it? How did they gain entry? It must have been upsetting to you.

It was St. Paddy's day, more than likely the 30 minutes or so I popped out to drive a friend into town. They got in through the sliding sash door at the back. We rent a house here, and apparently it was burgled before, as were a couple of neighbours. And yes, it's beyond upsetting with the stuff I had on that laptop, not all backed up - things that are useless to others, I work in IT.

I hope this thread has at least triggered one or two people to back up their data onto another device.

True, I hope so. I do use Google drive but didn't backup in a few months, stupid mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

And not just backing up data. I always leave my car keys and wallet on the back kitchen windowsill. I leave laptop open and visible and easily seen from outside.

How dumb is that?

Many burglaries happen in the middle of the day. Have heard many happen on days when there is a funeral and the house is empty. Some robbers no doubt read RIP.ie and get the relevant details.

I often wonder what I would do if I came across a robber in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bobbyss wrote: »
    And not just backing up data. I always leave my car keys and wallet on the back kitchen windowsill. I leave laptop open and visible and easily seen from outside.

How dumb is that?

Many burglaries happen in the middle of the day. Have heard many happen on days when there is a funeral and the house is empty. Some robbers no doubt read RIP.ie and get the relevant details.

I often wonder what I would do if I came across a robber in the house.

Pretty common.

I've been to a few funerals recently where someone stays in the home when the funeral is on, a neighbour usually. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Pretty common.

I've been to a few funerals recently where someone stays in the home when the funeral is on, a neighbour usually. Sad but true.

Tis some reflection on how things are. Any scrote caught breaking in to a funeral house in these circumstances deserves every thing he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I hope you get back...bios password and backup your laptops people.

Best wishes to you

• Advertisement

paconnors wrote: »

Thats a mate of mine, giving me a hand to find it. Thanks for the heads up though, real decent of you

Advertisement