Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elswick Reynolds 531 frame

Options
  • 19-03-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hello I'm looking for some information on a elswick bicycle with a Reynolds 531 frame.
    It says on the frame that it was assembled in Eire

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll probably need to retake those photos - most are so out of focus that there is nothing useful to identify in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Elswick-Hopper did indeed build/assemble frames in Ireland to get around import restrictions/tariffs. It's difficult to identify anything from those photos but I would hazard a guess it is early 1950s or late 1940s. I'm not sure when they stopped building bikes in Ireland but I think they started in 1946. I do know of one other - a traditional 3 speed gents roadster.

If they used the same style frame numbers as on their Barton on Humber made frames it should be possible to date it. You should find the frame number somewhere at the top of the seat tube - a single letter and about six numbers I think. I don't have the information to hand right now but the letter changed each year and when they ran out of letters they started again with the letters at the end of the serial number.

Advertisement