Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding at 21 weeks... Maternity wear or not?

Options
  • 19-03-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Have a wedding to go to in just under a month . Will be 21 weeks pregnant and haven't a notion of what I'm going to wear. Currently wearing standard size 14 jeans and stuff which were a bit on the loose side prepregnancy but now fine or slightly on tight side.

Will a maternity dress look ridiculous at 21 weeks? Was looking at them on asos and all the models are size 8 with massive bumps so hard to judge for the likes of me!

Based in Limerick so pretty poor range of maternity stuff nearby. May or may not make it up to Dublin in a few weeks for in person shopping but may have to go online route :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Maternity wear is so tricky! The good thing about Asos is you can order a few dresses, try them and send back the ones you don’t want for free. That’s what I did when I had a wedding when I was pregnant. I got a skater style dress that I wore a few times from when I was about 26 weeks to overdue. I had quite a small bump apparently as well (everyone kept telling me that anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I was a bridesmaid at 22 weeks. We ended up buying a size larger than my usual size to accommodate bigger boobs and small bump, and got a dress that was a bit too long (which isn’t hard as I’m short). Then got a seamstress to take up the bottom more at the back than the front to make up for the bump.

Not sure if that’s worth the expense unless it’s a close family or friend getting married, or unless you’re handy with a sewing machine yourself!

It’s an awkward stage of pregnancy alright. If you go for something in the maternity range made of a stretchy material, it may work out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Can't go wrong with an ASOS maternity skater style in your usual size. I wouldn't size up as I find the range to be generous

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I wouldn't bother with maternity at this stage unless you see something you really like. I heard the Katie piper maternity range is lovely and not expensive. They do have some fab dress https://www.wantthattrend.com/katie-piper-maternity/

Have a look round the usually shops and go for a bigger size. Obviously not body con style but plenty of flow type dresses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I've been at weddings at 22, 26, 30 & 36 weeks and have never worn maternity dresses. I wore a loose-ish wrap style one at 22 weeks and barely looked pregnant, a fitted dress at 26 weeks that was a size bigger than I usually wear, a slightly stretchy velvety dress at 30 weeks and a maxi dress a size bigger than normal at 36 weeks, needed to have that taken in at the bust though. Definitely order a few maternity/non maternity things from asos or Debenhams and return what doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll try and stay clear of the maternity stuff. I happened upon a skater style dress in Dorothy Perkins yesterday in a size 12 and 14.
    https://m.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/navy-floral-scuba-wrap-skater-dress-7516043
    12 fits fine now so we'll see how fat I am in 3-4 weeks. Can return 1 or both of them if I don't think they suit nearer the time.

That's calmed me down a bit anyway for now! I'm at least reassured that some standard clothing will fit me....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

I think it really varies depending on how you show. I have a wedding at 23 weeks and I've ordered a maternity style dress for it but I was BIG the last time around then.

firebird84 wrote: »
    I think it really varies depending on how you show. I have a wedding at 23 weeks and I've ordered a maternity style dress for it but I was BIG the last time around then.

I can't for the life of me remember how big I was last time! It's only 2.5 years ago but I haven't a clue :D I may order a backup from asos to cover my ass.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had a noticeable bump at 21 weeks particularly second time, but it would have been around 50-50 as to whether a maternity dress was needed. Certain shapes can accommodate a lot though! I had a maternity party dress for the work Christmas party at 26 weeks with #1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was still in most of my normal clothes at 21 weeks so if say no. I think you would be much better getting a dress maybe one size up that would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I think it all depends on how your showing, what your general style is and how comfortable you are in general with clothes.

I was in maternity jeans from about 15 weeks because they were just way more comfortable, but normal tops. I got a clingy style maternity dress for a communion when I was about 20/22 weeks that I wore again at 37 weeks when I was huge. I felt really comfy in it, even though it wouldn't normally be a style Id wear, but I felt too frumpy in looser clothes whether maternity or not. One thing though, if your anyways uncomfortable in normal tights take the plunge and buy maternity tights, they are night and day. I really wish I knew they existed at an earlier stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Have a wedding to go to in just under a month . Will be 21 weeks pregnant and haven't a notion of what I'm going to wear. Currently wearing standard size 14 jeans and stuff which were a bit on the loose side prepregnancy but now fine or slightly on tight side.

Will a maternity dress look ridiculous at 21 weeks? Was looking at them on asos and all the models are size 8 with massive bumps so hard to judge for the likes of me!

Based in Limerick so pretty poor range of maternity stuff nearby. May or may not make it up to Dublin in a few weeks for in person shopping but may have to go online route :(

Did you end up getting anything? We have quite a few occasions coming up in the next two or three months and I'm just going to size up in dresses I think. No major bump yet but I know that could change very quickly but I think most of the maternity dresses are nicer with a very obvious bump.

I tried on the Dorothy Perkins one I mentioned above again at the weekend in a 12 and it looks ok, but I still have 2.5 weeks to go. Have started to notice a definite bump appearing this week so think I'll have to monitor the situation and hope no last minute shopping trips are needed.

I got a 14 in the dress as well but currently that doesn't fit as well around the bust and shoulders as the 12 even though by boobs have jumped up at least 2 cup sizes... So I don't know if sizing up always works. I think it depends on the dress to be honest.

I have a maternity dress from my last pregnancy in my wardrobe that I tried on at the weekend to and it felt a bit frumpy tbh. It isn't really dressy enough for a wedding though. Argh the whole thing is such a pain in the ass!

Advertisement