Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Only Deals

Options
  • 19-03-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for a sim only deal for a gsm unit on a hkc gsm q alarm module. I had a meteor 90 day top up, but i got disconnected as i hadn't topped up. Anyone know what the best deals currently are. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wrong area

• Registered Users Posts: 4 youngster68

Thanks for prompt reply. Would you have a suggested thread suitable for this query?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

On top of this page there is a sub section titled 'bargain alert requests'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,027 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You need to top-up every ~6 months according to mobile providers. In practice, it varies by up to 18 months.
    I have an old Tesco sim not updated since 2016 and it still works.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would lean towards tesco mobile also. Assuming you have decent coverage in your area.

https://www.tescomobile.ie/help-centre/Prepay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

What does the alarm need to send via SIM, is it data or text?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Usually they use a sim card to send alerts and receive commands by sms (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    TM seemed to have the best top up policy - credit was active for 12-18 months I recall - so I went with them for electric gates. However I found them useless as it failed to correctly hangup most of the time, especially from an Eir mobile, leading to the gates failing to open. Might be ok for an alarm but I've been burnt twice by TM and won't go near them again.
    I swapped to a Vodafone PAYG SIM and then had no bother. Topup by €5 every 6 months and you can view the credit from the webpage. After 6 months are up, it will not let you login to the website but you can still credit it. Apparently it'll stay active and accept incoming calls up to 8 months - perfect for things like gates - but obv not anything like an alarm that needs to send a text.

Advertisement