Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah Jaysus. C'mere now. Spike vs Canelo.

Options
  • 19-03-2018 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭

So i read that Spike Sullivan will fight Canelo in September.

Fair play to him for getting the fight, and he has been steady enough in getting near the top, or thereabouts, of the level below the top fellas but I can't see it going too many rounds

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair play to Gary if he lands the fight, boxing is a hard way to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

pac_man wrote: »
    I hope he's getting paid well. Fairly unusual to be making such an announcement with the assumption that Canelo will come out of the Golovkin rematch unscathed.

Might also be planning on having an easy comeback night in case GGG knocks him out. Having it planned and announced now when the focus is on the GGG rematch might mean it can kind of slip under the radar up until closer to the event. And if you are going to have an easy comeback, might be better to have it sooner rather than wait a year to get back into winning ways

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

Canelo would rather face Spike over Billy Joe Saunders, would be a massive upset if he got the win. Nice payday before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great for Spike if true, can't see him lasting more than 3 or 4 rounds though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Unfortunately not happening this time for Spike according to latest reports.

21 year old undefeated Mexican Jamie Munguia is looking like the replacement for Canelo.
    https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/4/5/17202016/jaime-munguia-rumored-to-be-replacement-opponent-for-gennady-golovkin

A 21 year old light middleweight. That is not going to end well for him.

Agree Johnner - GGG will walk through him.

It seems that the above mentioned Mexican is now out of the frame and Spike is back in contention to fight GGG on 5th May! Go on Spike ! Do it for Ireland!

Not going to happen by the looks of it. I feel like if it was it'd be signed and sealed by now tbh. Apparently Spike has turned it down. Not enough money on offer for such a short notice fight.

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/984149508387782656

• Advertisement

Honestly have very little interest in seeing Spike get blasted out of there in a couple of rounds. If the pay was good then fair play but it clearly won't be.

GGG should forget May 5th and get a Saunders fight sorted for June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

pac_man wrote: »
    I agree.I'm not even sure how Spike got himself into this position of getting talked about into a big fight. His last win was decent enough but that alone hardly warrants a big fight.

Spike's a gent but there's no way he lasts 4 rounds. Fair balls if he lands the gig and a sweet payday though.... all the best to him

Spike has turned down the fight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Johner wrote: »

Health reasons?

walshb wrote: »
    Health reasons?

Not enough money since it's been downgraded from PPV or time to prepare. Understandable, the money would have to be very good to get a beating off GGG. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I think this shows a lack of ambition. Granted he has little chance of troubling GGG but it is a massive opportunity that will probably not come around again. Yeah the money is not as good for this bout but look at the big picture. An admirable showing here could have got him good paydays going forward.
    Or in other words Spike knew he could be humiliated.

Spike and his team also turned down the Jacobs fight iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Spike and his team also turned down the Jacobs fight iirc.
    And agreed to fight Canelo too.
    The timeline argument does not fit as he is fighting on May 4. To be fair all the waiting and messing surrounding the big fight cant help with sparring partners etc but still feel this is a lost opportunity. All very well saying he will be on the card of GGG v Canelo 2 in September but after the Quigley ko the time is now. When you're hot is the time to strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Very surprised if he has turned it down, he should be fighting this guy for free. The chance to step into a ring with one of the all time greats of the sport will not come round to him again.

Cant think of anything he has to loose (apart from his memory of the start of the second round)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Spike was badly beaten up by both Saunders and Eubank Jr. He got a great win the last time, but I think is probably where his ceiling is. I think any step up in level will only lead to defeat, whether that is Jacobs / GGG / Saunders etc.

Was there not talk of him fighting Lemieux. Surely that fight makes sense for the two of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Bit like me turning down Rita Ora. Was never happening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Why should Spike fight Golovkin for peanuts when everyone else who fought him in the last few years got paid well.I’d say there is now a very good chance that Spike will be Canelo’s opponent in September.Maybe that’s the big payday for Spike.

Advertisement