Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching a tyre

Options
  • 18-03-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I got a small gash in my rear tyre whilst out for a spin in Friday. It didn't give me a puncture but there is a pinprick where it has gone right through the tyre. There is still loads left in the tyre so I don't really want to get a new one if I can get away with it. Is putting a small patch on the inside any kind of a solution or is that just prolonging the inevitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is the hole too big for Superglue? I've used this a few times for glass cuts on tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

dahat wrote: »
    Is the hole too big for Superglue? I've used this a few times for glass cuts on tyres.

It's a really tiny hole on the inside. Literally a pinprick. On the outside it is a bit less than half a cm. Would superglue work on that? I was also thinking of just putting a normal puncture patch on the inside to strengthen it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd go with the superglue and check it periodically etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Have used standard puncture repair patches for small holes in tyres before and worked fine. A few years back I found a heavy duty tyre puncture repair kit, had a google there and couldn't find it again, but they worked a treat, even on tubeless MTB tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd use a small bit of Tek 7. But then I fix everything with Tek 7!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Effects wrote: »
    I'd use a small bit of Tek 7. But then I fix everything with Tek 7!
    It's the upgrade material from "if it moves, and it shouldn't, duct tape"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's a really tiny hole on the inside. Literally a pinprick. On the outside it is a bit less than half a cm. Would superglue work on that? I was also thinking of just putting a normal puncture patch on the inside to strengthen it a bit.
    Leave it. Keep an eye on the tube for chafing at the hole. If none, you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's the upgrade material from "if it moves, and it shouldn't, duct tape"!

I've used it to fill gouges in the outside of my bike tires!

And it kept a pair of hiking boots going for at least a further three years.

Duct/duck tape I still use for fixing tears in waterproof clothing.

Advertisement