Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy question

Options
  • 18-03-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to ascertain is a person mentioned in two records is the same Patrick Nolan. His family lived at Lackendarragh, Kilrush, Wexford and in his army record, his address is Lacken, Ballyroebuck, Ferns, Co. Wexford. Looking at townlands.ie, these townlands are almost beside each other, so is it possibly the same address just expressed in different ways?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

oceanclub wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to ascertain is a person mentioned in two records is the same Patrick Nolan. His family lived at Lackendarragh, Kilrush, Wexford and in his army record, his address is Lacken, Ballyroebuck, Ferns, Co. Wexford. Looking at townlands.ie, these townlands are almost beside each other, so is it possibly the same address just expressed in different ways?

P.

99% certain that they are the same place, it's near the national school in Ballyroebuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I'd agree. Lacken is a common placename in Ireland, there are several in Wexford alone. I think it generally meant a settlement of skilled artisans, the "darragh" suffix is probably an earlier name and suggests there was an oak wood close by at the time which has since been lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I'd agree. Lacken is a common placename in Ireland, there are several in Wexford alone. I think it generally meant a settlement of skilled artisans, the "darragh" suffix is probably an earlier name and suggests there was an oak wood close by at the time which has since been lost.

Lacken usually derives from the Irish 'leaca' - literally the side of a face or cheek but applied to hillsides, so just the 'side of the hill' or 'hillside of oaks' in this case. 'Leac' is a very similar word, for a slab (of rock) and related to above meaning.

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/leaca

Advertisement