Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus lanes that regularly suffer blocking

Options
  • 17-03-2018 8:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is ***only*** to list and discuss bus lanes that suffer blockages regularly from motorists cutting in too early or parking, especially at peak times.

More general discussion of what can be discussed done can be found here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057848531

Here’s the start of a list:

— Blackhall Place, outhbound / northbound at PM peak.
    — Harold’s Cross approaching Harold’s Cross bridge, inbound / northbound at AM peak.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Heading outbound along Crumlin Road in the PM to the left turn towards Sundrive road. Regularly 10/15 cars pass me in the evening holding up buses.

Edit: The Harolds Cross one is hilarious. 20+ cars queueing to go straight ahead in the bus lane and I drive along the 'proper' lane to where the bus lane ends and the Straight Ahead lane starts and bully my way in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Naas Road inbound just at Red Cow after M50 slip. Blocked every morning without fail. Takes a good 2 or 3 minutes for driver to navigate into it.

Tyrconnell Road, Inchicore outbound, just before traffic lights before row of shops. Cars regularly parked in bus lane in evening peak. Usually people collecting kids from the creche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Merrion Row in the morning.

Delivery drivers seemingly have no regard for anyone other than themselves along that road. Frequently get held behind keg deliveries there in the morning.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Rathmines Road into town in the morning.

North Quays from Hueston to the IFSC in the morning.

Cork St. at the Lidl all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

George's Street is just a delivery set down area, right in front of the stop outside Nolita. The road is also in a disgraceful state at the junction with Stephen St to such an extent that the centre of the road is unnavigable by bicycle.

Rathmines Road at Lidl, always some sort of lorry set down there.

Camden Street is almost comically abused by all kinds of commercial vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Burgh quay, yellow boxes for buses to be able to safely merge or clear a junction pretty much all over the city.

Worst spot is new Luas bridge heading south from Eden quay.

Cars using right turn on to Eden quay off O'Connell bridge.

College green bus gate.

Fairview, malahide road, north strand and so on.

Connolly station, ifsc.

Churchtown road towards dundrum Luas bridge.

Many many more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Bus lane westbound before Castleknock coming up to the Auburn Avenue junction in the evenings. It's a 24 hour lane (unlike the one after through Castleknock), but invariable chockablock in the evening with private cars. The rare times I drive that way I go up the (normally clear) right hand lane and just cut in front of the lane abusers. Doesn't always go down well, but they haven't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Dorset st southbound between the canal and Frederick St. There’s alway cars parking outside the shops all times of the day forcing Dublin bus to move into other lanes. Oddly there isn’t any parking on northbound iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The junction of Parnell Square and Parnell Street is still chockablock with cars entering the bus lane and taking the left turn, 16 years after the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I find it bizarre that this behaviour is aloud. Bus and cycle lanes are constantly blocked and it's just accepted. Hold long do you think my car would be left parked in the middle of O Connell street? And by middle I mean in the outside traffic lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Drimnagh road towards the childrens hospital. 24/7.

Cork St, people parking outside Lidl at all hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Finglas rd-prospect way-botanic rd.

That junction drives me up the wall.

I would pay a garda myself to sort that one out in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Ballymun road at supervalu,

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Also ,practically every inch of bus lane. Around adamstown seems to be 24/7 car parking,I've often wondered if the residents don't have anywhere else to park

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

R114 Towards Terenure Village.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ballymun road at supervalu,

24hr bus lane and there's often 3-4 cars parked on the bus/cycle lane outside Supervalu and a couple outside Firehouse Pizza (delivery drivers, I presume). All across the road from Ballymun Garda station.

Across the road, the bus lane is an actual pay & display car park between 10 AM and 4 PM. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Coynyngham Road inbound opposite the bus garage, easy pickings for any guard

Ormonde Quay, again easy pickings, Bachelors walk

Burgh Quay

Second Monuments' Blackhall Place outbound thats a real blood pressure raiser that one

Johns Road inbound at Heuston Station, outside the pedestrian exit there, another really annoying one

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Clanbrassil St / Patrick St inbound from Long Lane all the way through to the junction with Bride St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

richardjjd wrote: »
    Clanbrassil St / Patrick St inbound from Long Lane all the way through to the junction with Bride St.

The latter part of the bus lane would work better if removed as most buses make a right turn at Christchurch while all private traffic needs to enter the left lanes.

The pedestrian crossing opp. Bull Ally Street should be upgraded to allow buses enter the right lane from the bus lane and then open both lanes to all traffic after the crossing.

Relocating the inbound bus opp. St. Patricks Close further up towards St. Patricks Park would allow a better flow of traffic coming off Cork street as well. More than 1 bus trying use that stop creates backlogs on Clanbrassil Street and Cork Street.

The last inbound stop on New Street for the 49 and 54A should be removed also as its to close to the junction. Expending the right turning lane onto Kevin St. from New Street would make massive improvements.

Advertisement