Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE making a balls of parade coverage?

Options
  • 17-03-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is it amateur hour?

Broadcasting errors going out, shaky camera work, bad angles. Too close zooms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭crushproof

Watching it from abroad, christ camera work is all over the place! Doesn't help that O'Connell Bridge looks empty as if no one was bothered to come in to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Sparko

Par for the course.

Des Cahill mentioning the weather every ten seconds is starting to grind too.

I got a laugh out of Aidan Power asking for and getting a second take on a live broadcast and the whole thing being televised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Watched a bit, and thought the same - some very poor camera work.
    And just now, one of the presenters Aidan Power (?) mouthing helplessly, no sound.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

LynnGrace wrote: »
    And just now, one of the presenters Aidan Power (?) mouthing helplessly, no sound.

He’ll be grand, do it again in a 2nd take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Not even an hour in to the programme, 5 advertisement breaks. Worth the licence fee? I think not. Did they give the cameras to trainees or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

In fairness, RTÉ's coverage of any parade is rubbish.

Zooming in so you can't see anything or long distance shots where the parade is barely visible.

I esp hate the "grab a spectator" and ask them questions, just show the bloody parade FFS.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Did they give the cameras to trainees or what?

Of course they did,

All the regular cameramen (the ones earning 90k+ a year) are all over in London for the game, so they’ve let the apprentices cover the parade today (although the 90k lads will of course still get their Paddy’s Day bonus)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ooter

crushproof wrote: »
    Watching it from abroad, christ camera work is all over the place! Doesn't help that O'Connell Bridge looks empty as if no one was bothered to come in to see it!

With the Baltic wind that's blowing today you'd want to be mad to stand on O'Connell bridge.
    Was in town earlier and the place is rammed with Americans, the parade seems to be the same and I don't mean the spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

So it's all over now and all we say was the bands. Who cares about them. We want to see the floats and funny stuff people do

So it's all over now and all we say was the bands. Who cares about them. We want to see the floats and funny stuff people do

The coverage always feels like it stops too early, just when things are only starting to get going!!

I mean even just leave 3-4 fixed cameras on the route, no commentary, just a director to switch between the camera feeds.
    If happily watch that for another 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would rather they started it now instead of all those bands

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Does that Blanid ni pain in the aras talk about anyone but herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That presenter who messed up his Irish and started over in three, two, one.

Did no one tell him it was a live broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In fairness the parade itself looked absolutely awful. The bands were the best bit, the rest looked so paper mache, horror show, amatuer hour.
    It's no wonder the presenters sound so half assed about it all. I can't imagined what I'd say to fill all the dead air. Why all these weird little sections of people dressed up that require presenters to explain what's happening. 3 that stood out :

The spider, "what if evolution had taken another path and we were all insects" as demonstrated by a large spider and a few people dressed as bees walking up a street.

The Irish family : cute bobblehead costumes but included people dressed as the "family table" with a very large onion/garlic clove on top.

Something about the role of the dog in Irish life which was portrayed by children wearing pyramid shaped pink and brown shaggy rugs dancing around in circles.

Surely our community groups could cobble together something a little more coherent. They really need to start handing over creative control to someone who is high or something. It all felt very tired and jaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course they did,

All the regular cameramen (the ones earning 90k+ a year) are all over in London for the game, so they’ve let the apprentices cover the parade today (although the 90k lads will of course still get their Paddy’s Day bonus)

The game that tv3 are covering?

Doesn't the local broadcaster provide the footage anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Of course they did,

Complete and utter bollocks. Even if the game was on RTE the local broadcaster provides the pictures.

The game that tv3 are covering?

Doesn't the local broadcaster provide the footage anyway?

Oh no, I never implied that they were there in any capacity for RTÉ, merely that they’re all over there on a jolly thanks to their massive salaries.

Complete and utter bollocks. Even if the game was on RTE the local broadcaster provides the pictures.

As above, I never implied they were there in any capacity for RTÉ,

Apologies for my weak attempt at humour, as when a previous poster asked if the amateurs were running the cameras at the parade today, I replied with a yes, stating that the regular cameramen were all off on a jolly to the game, as with their massive salaries, they could easily afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bring back the Abel Alarms float or something like the Rose Monday parade.
    Rosenmontag-772791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Never mind that..what's Jean Byrne wearing ...a gold pizza wheel...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement