Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: CAr Licence/Moped

Options
  • 17-03-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering does anyone know the answer to this. I have a full driving licence since June 2006 (I've read that the cut-off point for needing a test for a moped was oct 2006).

Do I need to do a test to have a 50cc moped? or can I drive a 90cc moped?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hi,

just wondering does anyone know the answer to this. I have a full driving licence since June 2006 (I've read that the cut-off point for needing a test for a moped was oct 2006).

Do I need to do a test to have a 50cc moped? or can I drive a 90cc moped?

Thanks

It appears that 21st Oct 2006 was the relevant date.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html
    AM-Mopeds and tricycles with a maximum speed of 45kph and light quadricycles

If you meet the requirements you can ride either capicity moped,as long as it cannot exceed 45 Kmph.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html
    Moped: Where a person was issued the category B full licence prior to 21 October 2006 that also covered them to ride mopeds and therefore are entitled to the moped category AM provided the category B licence has not expired for more than 10 years.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Cool. Would love an old Honda 90. Do you know who would do insurance for this bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cool. Would love an old Honda 90.

Honda 90 isn't a moped. For it to be a moped it can't exceed 45km/h and a Cub 90 will easily exceed that.

ok thanks, so it'd be a honda 50 or 70cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ok thanks, so it'd be a honda 50 or 70cc?

Has to be a 50

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/For-Motorcyclists/New-Regulations/

• Advertisement

cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A honda 50 does not conform the AM requirements as it can exceed the speed limit of 45 km/h. It needs to conform to both the speed and displacement limits which limits you to basic scooters.

Also, I might have more bad news for you - if you passed the test in 2006 and category M (which has been replaced with category AM) was omitted from your physical licence (the paper licence would have had a start and end date next to category M), once 10 years has passed without it appearing on your licence you lose the entitlement to category AM. This may have been the motor tax office just simply not applying it because you didn't have the box ticked on the application despite holding the the full entitlements for B, AM and W on passing the car test. This was very common for the MTO at the time. It very unfair to drivers who basically did nothing wrong at the time but it's just the way it is. You can complain to the RSA but I'll eat my hat if you get satisfaction.

Assuming you renewed your licence in 2016, if you look at the back of your licence, where you see category AM there should be a start date and an end date. If there are only strikethroughs instead of dates, you probably have lost the entitlement to AM at this stage. If there are start and end dates next to category AM (the same as there is for categories B and W) then you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

Teacher ,

You can ride a piaggio mp3 .

Comes in a 300cc,400cc and 500cc version.

It’s a 3 wheel so regulations covering same is a little confusing.

V easy to use but pricey.

cool - thanks. So I have the 'AM' part of my licence valid. So I can't get a Honda 90 basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cool - thanks. So I have the 'AM' part of my licence valid. So I can't get a Honda 90 basically?

Nor a Honda 50. It has to be a speed-restricted 50cc or smaller scooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

foret wrote: »
    Teacher ,

There are two different versions of the MP3. One is wider with greater distance between front wheels. This is the version you can ride with a car license. The narrower one (more common) needs a bike license.

Fair enough. Might do some bike lessons and the test further down the line. I had a Honda Vision 50cc years ago, great yoke for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

foret wrote: »
    Teacher ,

Does anyone know what the approx cost of insurance is for these MP3 3-wheelers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Fair enough. Might do some bike lessons and the test further down the line. I had a Honda Vision 50cc years ago, great yoke for reliability.

You’ll need to do the ibt first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

TBi wrote: »
    One is wider with greater distance between front wheels. This is the version you can ride with a car license.

Perhaps it is better to say "maybe" rather "can"...

(Boring explanation bit that can be skipped)

...because there isn't a "car licence"*, there is a driving licence with various categories on it. It may seem like a pendantic point, trikes (type approval category L2/L5) have shifted since the 3DLD from B1(covered by B) to A/AM.

Depending on when the category B full licence was obtained would determine whether or not you could ride one of these without passing an additional test. If you had a full licence before 19th Jan 2013, then you should have on it either a full cat B, a cat B(73) or a cat A(46) as "grandfather rights" for riding a trike. People passing their tests after then don't get that freebie and will need to be passing a further test to cover an A or AM trike.

Having said that. Wifey has an exchange licence for a Feb 2001 French driving licence which was only for cat B1/B. The Irish licence doesn't have an A(46) on it, but she does have a full AM & A1 :confused:

*yeah I know it's a colloquialism but it would be nice to have separate licences for motorcycle, car, lorry & bus each with their own points tallies!

Advertisement