Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters

Options
  • 17-03-2018 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Any recommendations for where to do a masters in primary education in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Part time option with Hibernia. Some online lectures and some face to face. Fees are expensive. Lots of hours required for teaching practice and heavy workload means a lot of people struggle to work regularly alongside it. I am a primary teacher who has been told this by multiple student teachers on placement.

Full time option with St Pats/Froebel/ Marino/Mary Immaculate. You apply through a central applications system with DCU and put your order of preference beside each college.

Interviews for both are tough but if you have a genuine interest in teaching and areas that you'd like to do some research on then you will be fine. Irish component is absolutely manageable for anyone who found Leaving Cert Honours ok. There are specific preparatory courses tailored for the Irish interview. Gaelchultur are excellent and offer this as a part time course over 5 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

Cash_Q wrote: »

Full time option with St Pats/Froebel/ Marino/Mary Immaculate. You apply through a central applications system with DCU and put your order of preference beside each college.

Interviews for both are tough but if you have a genuine interest in teaching and areas that you'd like to do some research on then you will be fine. Irish component is absolutely manageable for anyone who found Leaving Cert Honours ok. There are specific preparatory courses tailored for the Irish interview. Gaelchultur are excellent and offer this as a part time course over 5 sessions.

Just on Pat's, Marino and Mary I, I've been told by a few people now that they are ridiculously difficult to get into. One person told me they got close to full marks in the Irish interview but still didn't receive an offer of a place. Is this just an exaggeration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

LUFC123 wrote:
    Just on Pat's, Marino and Mary I, I've been told by a few people now that they are ridiculously difficult to get into. One person told me they got close to full marks in the Irish interview but still didn't receive an offer of a place. Is this just an exaggeration?

I was offered a place but I did a very good interview in both Irish and English and had 8 years experience as an sna and Montessori teacher at the time. I didn't take the place but was very grateful for the offer.

It's not only down to the Irish interview; you could be a fluent Irish speaker and have a disastrous English interview. The marking scheme for both interviews is available on the website where the courses are advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I was offered a place but I did a very good interview in both Irish and English and had 8 years experience as an sna and Montessori teacher at the time. I didn't take the place but was very grateful for the offer.

It's not only down to the Irish interview; you could be a fluent Irish speaker and have a disastrous English interview. The marking scheme for both interviews is available on the website where the courses are advertised.

Completely agree. I have helped with the Irish section in the past and notice that some candidates take the English as a given. Not so. Have a colleague doing preparatory classes for both. Worth putting in some effort for sure.

Advertisement