Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No driving for 6 months after seizure

Options
  • 17-03-2018 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Im looking for some advice. I had a seizure last week for the first time ever. I have now been told by my doctor that i cant drive for 6 months. Im wondering do i need to contact my insurance company of this or can i let me insurance continue until it lapses in May. What happens the named drivers on my policy if i do contact them? Will they be affected?
    I have also read that i need to contact the ndls also. My problem is that my licence is due for renewal in July. I wont be able to go back driving until September so am i right in thinking that i wont be able to renew my licence in July because of this. What happens if my licence expires? Can i renew it in september? Or will i need to start from stratch in September with a learners permit?

Im very confussed about this and would appreciate any advice or experience people have on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sorry to hear that and I hope you are on the mend.

Yes, you need to advise your insurer.

What I suggest you do is contact them to suspend your policy. That basically means that no cover is in place on your car but your no claims bonus remains live.

You will need to send them a letter confirming the suspension along with the cert and disc to get them to action it.

You will also be entitled to a pro rata refund for the duration of the suspension e.g. if your policy is suspended for 30 days you would be entitled to the refund for those days when the policy comes to an end ie your renewal date.

I'd also suggest that you renew your policy at next renewal and suspend it again straight away.

This means that when you are medically cleared to drive again all you need to do is contact your insurer and get them to reactivate the policy, you would also be entitled to a refund for the suspension period from renewal 2018 to the date you reactivate the policy.

They will require a medical cert to confirm you are medically for to drive when the time comes but other than that it should be a painless process. In my experience insurers are very accommodating for situations like your own.

If you wanted them to keep the policy going you can just contact them to exclude yourself from driving and you will have to nominate one of the named drivers as the main driver. You can then renew your policy and when the time comes get them to lift the exclusion on yourself.

Advertisement