Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take out car insurance and buy car in UK

Options
  • 16-03-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

So I will be returning to Ireland later this year from abroad and will transfer my driving licence back to my Irish licence.

I intend to then purchase a car, however its likely I will buy it in the UK and bring it back to Ireland on a ferry.

- I won't have an Irish car to insure first (as in to transfer the insurance from an existing policy to a new UK reg car)
    - Could I successfully ring an Irish car insurance company while in the UK just after I purchase the car and take out car insurance on the UK reg in order to get it back to Ireland and be insured?

Obviously I would then comply with the VRT/NCT stuff and get it on Irish plates once back in Ireland, but the question is will it be possible or would they decline insurance?

It would be easy if I had an Irish car first, I know I could then swap the insurance to the UK reg car for 30 days if I had an existing policy, however my situation is a bit particular

Any insight appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BArra wrote: »
    So I will be returning to Ireland later this year from abroad and will transfer my driving licence back to my Irish licence.

I intend to then purchase a car, however its likely I will buy it in the UK and bring it back to Ireland on a ferry.

- I won't have an Irish car to insure first (as in to transfer the insurance from an existing policy to a new UK reg car)
    - Could I successfully ring an Irish car insurance company while in the UK just after I purchase the car and take out car insurance on the UK reg in order to get it back to Ireland and be insured?

Obviously I would then comply with the VRT/NCT stuff and get it on Irish plates once back in Ireland, but the question is will it be possible or would they decline insurance?

It would be easy if I had an Irish car first, I know I could then swap the insurance to the UK reg car for 30 days if I had an existing policy, however my situation is a bit particular

Any insight appreciated

Do you live in the U.K.? If yes, you might be able to get short term insurance in the UK but be careful to ensure that it covers a ferry crossing etc. I returned from U.K. 2 years ago and had no hassle getting insured here once I lived here. They can’t quote you living abroad.

If you live in a 3rd country then I would recommend that you find a friend or family member who has a “driving other cars” cover which applies in the U.K. (some are restricted to Ireland) then buy the car and get them to drive it back. The difficulty if you live in a 3rd country is you’ll find it hard to get valid cover in either the U.K. or Ireland to cover the trip back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Nope, don't live in the UK, coming back from further afield, but I am an Irish citizen and will be returning to Ireland to stay.

So it would be your second option of a family member with third party extension, not ideal but not impossible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Does 3rd party extention apply abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Not sure I get where you are coming from

Do you mean, I buy the car in UK and get a friend or parent who has their own insurance come with me, they transfer their insurance to 'my' car and drive it home that way?

Does 3rd party extention apply abroad?

In my experience of living in the U.K. allowing friends and family from Ireland drive my cars, the answer is it depends on the insurer. Some will have territorial limits to 3rd party extension for driving other cars which include GB, many do not.

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    Not sure I get where you are coming from

Do you mean, I buy the car in UK and get a friend or parent who has their own insurance come with me, they transfer their insurance to 'my' car and drive it home that way?

No; they wouldn’t be able to transfer but if their driving other cars cover including driving in the U.K. then they would be covered.

For example if you read page 23 of this Axa document then you will see that driving other cars can include cover in the U.K. the insurance cert would need to be read in conjunction with this to ensure the particular person’s policy covered it.

https://www.axa.ie/download/axa-car-insurance-policy-010617.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Get a quote on the car, as if it was Irish, first. If you've been away long enough, have no NCB etc, that may well be a much bigger hill to climb.....

By all means go via the garage to see it etc, pay your deposit and arrange payment - then get it collected by a car transport company. Far easier, simpler, cleaner, less stress.

You could get the car collected in UK and delivery do your door for about €375.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement