Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On Replacing a Double Switch

Options
  • 16-03-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'd be grateful for some advice on replacing a switch for my kitchen lights.
    The switch is a double. One of them switches on the lights and the other one I have no idea why it's there, as nothing happens if I turn it on. Therefore I haven't turned it on at all. I asked an electrician who came by to do another job a few years ago and he had no idea either.
    The switch is a typical chrome plate. Apart from the earth wire which attaches to the pin of the screw , there are 3 brown wires which are attached. The double switch has each two holes for the wires at the bottom and 1 hole each at the top.
    So that's 4 holes at the bottom and 2 at the top. One each of the brown wires goes into the right hand hole on each switch section at the bottom, and one goes into the switch for the lights at the top hole.
    Now here's the thing there is a short brown loop wire which is attached to the hole for the light switch at the top and to the hole for the other switch that appears to not work. Can someone please help me as I need the lights in my kitchen and need to know what to do?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi Guys,
    The switch is a double. One of them switches on the lights and the other one I have no idea why it's there, as nothing happens if I turn it on. Therefore I haven't turned it on at all. I asked an electrician who came by to do another job a few years ago and he had no idea either.
    The switch is a typical chrome plate. Apart from the earth wire which attaches to the pin of the screw , there are 3 brown wires which are attached. The double switch has each two holes for the wires at the bottom and 1 hole each at the top.
    So that's 4 holes at the bottom and 2 at the top. One each of the brown wires goes into the right hand hole on each switch section at the bottom, and one goes into the switch for the lights at the top hole.
    Now here's the thing there is a short brown loop wire which is attached to the hole for the light switch at the top and to the hole for the other switch that appears to not work. Can someone please help me as I need the lights in my kitchen and need to know what to do?
    Cheers

It’s a confusing message you posted

Are your lights currently working?
    It seems like a standard 2 gang switch that’s wired correctly
    Perhaps the 2nd switch is for under counter lights (that may be plastered in or buried behind presses,or above)or a back light possibly
    It’s going to be hard to tell from here

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hi Guys,
    Cheers

I'm really confused about what you want to do. From your description of the switch there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. Do the kitchen lights work currently?
    If you just want to replace the switch with a like for like then turn the power off , take a picture of the wiring, mark them if you need to and replace the switch.
    As meercat said the other switch is most likely for under counter lighting and is probably junction off somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Sorry about the confusion - the lights are ok, but they don't come on because the switch on the plate for them has broken and fallen off ( the one that you flick to turn on and off the lights), and that is why I'm replacing the switch panel. It is a twin plate ( one plate with two switches ). There is only one panel of lights in the kitchen and the second switch on the chrome plate does not seem have any functional purpose, for any light or other electrical appliance,

Advertisement