Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice] Secondary science teaching in Ireland

Options
  • 16-03-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am hoping to get some advice as I am very much out of touch with the state of the Irish Education system. I got a PGCE in England in 2014 and have been teaching science and Biology in UK secondary schools for the last 4 years. I am considering returning to Ireland, even though job prospects, I believe are not as good. I am also unsure whether my PGCE is recognised in Ireland anymore or if I would need a masters? I love teaching but am fed up of pointless bureaucracy and box-ticking exercises here that take hours and are of no benefit to anyone. For example being expected to mark each one of my students book's every 3 weeks in green pen (despite research showing it is of NO benefit to student outcomes) and give them a traffic light colour every lesson. I'm just wondering what workload is like for secondary teachers in Ireland. How many hours does a full time secondary teacher have? How many of these are contact hours and how many are PPA (planning, preparation and assessment)? How many hours of work do you guys do each week outside of teaching time? Thanks.

Advertisement