Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet and Greets

Options
  • 16-03-2018 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'll be attending G Eazy in the Olympia in June.

I've seen there are VIP upgrades available for about €115 on top of the ticket cost to get a meet and greet with him, this includes a photo, album, signed poster, lanyard etc.

Just wondering if you think it may be worth it? I'm a fan of the guys music for a while now and meeting him would be great, however I've also heard you could be lucky and meet him coming into the venue at the side door as the Olympia itself is quite small anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Hi all

I've seen there are VIP upgrades available for about €115 on top of the ticket cost to get a meet and greet with him, this includes a photo, album, signed poster, lanyard etc.

Just wondering if you think it may be worth it? I'm a fan of the guys music for a while now and meeting him would be great, however I've also heard you could be lucky and meet him coming into the venue at the side door as the Olympia itself is quite small anyway.

Any thoughts on this?
    I have met a few coming out of the Olympia in the past, just by waiting around 30mins after. Might be hard to time it on the way in, hard to know how early he might head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres a sad bastard section in hell for people who pay for meet and greets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seems like a bit of a cnut if he’s charging his fans 115 quid just to meet him. But it’s your money your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi all

Any thoughts on this?

This will depend on the artist completely
    I have met Walking on Cars there, along with a few smaller bands
    I have waited for the Coronas on a number of occasions and no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,974 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I went M&G VIP for Thin Lizzy in the Olympia in 2012 and it was meh, think it was €125 for the lot , tickets for gig cost €40 i think

Bit of confusion as we were told to go the ticket office before doors open but the women (bit of a hag tbh lol) knw nothing about this and were bacsially told the time the doors opened and too fob off. Anyway when doors opened there was a table set up for VIPS where we got our box ticket, pack and told the M&G will take place after the show in the down stairs bar at the back of the standing area and to keep hold of out laminets . Anyway show was pretty good and we all went down to the bar, there was around 20 of us and then members of the band came in and the manager told everyone ok guys 20 mins and its then a private bar for band and there family/friends and it was bacsially every person for themselves to meet the band/get photos etc. In fairness the band were very friendly and tried there best to meet everyone and i got to meet them all for a few mins. Heard later on after we all left a few of the other VIPS came in (they were in one of the other bars) and it was a good night.

It was cool to be in the side boxes (bit tight on space mind u) but prob wont do it again esp with the prices some bands are charging for VIP. But for the mega fan its there choice and prob awsome for them (you only live once)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Done a few Greet the Meats and have differing experiences, never paid for one though

First was Metallica at Dynamo Festival in '99, had backstage pass anyway and managed to blag a pass for the Metallica MnG, 90mins before they were due on we were hearded to a seperate area, lined up and the security guy came out, said only 2 autographs per person and please refrain from talking too much and no pics.
    Jason came out and talked to everyone, sound as anything, Then James came out, he heard Apocolyptica playing a Metallica song, said "That's my ****in song" and jumped up onto stage to go watch, in the meantime security guy said now only 1 autograph and no chat/pics. Lars and Kirk never bothered coming out, probably powdering their noses

Won a pair of Greet the Meat from Nova for Dropkick Murphy's show at Vicar Street, what a fcukin day that was. They were playing the Sat and Sun, MnG was the Sat.
    Arrived at venue at 16:00 along with maybe 20 others, who had paid 130euro i think, walked in, Al Barr (Singer) seen us coming in, jumped off stage and came over with a huge beer cooler, gave us all a drink. They then soundchecked, maybe 5 songs, taking requests.
    We were then given this super cool screen printed limited and signed by artist poster plus copy of new album and a t-shirt. Band spent 30mins+ chatting to everyone. Asked Ken if they'd ever consider doing Paddy's day shows in Dublin as always did them in Boston, he said that was a great idea. 2yrs later they did Paddy's Day in Dublin.

Last MnG i did was Thunder, took Blastman from here to it, they do a free draw and if you win you get in after the show, guys were sound and spent plenty of time chatting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I met Gary Numan after his show in Vicar St in 2001. He made the mistake of coming into the venue 20mins after the show ended and he was mobbed. It was madness and there was no organization whatsoever. He signed my ticket but looked very uncomfortable with the mob mentality.

I paid for a meet and greet with him in Cork 2015 and it was a much better experience. We were ushered onto the stage and we spoke to him individually for about 10mins. He posed for photos and signed anything put in front of him. He then spoke to everyone as a group. We then got to see the sound check and given early access to the gig itself.

Paying for meet and greets is a contentious issue, but I found it to be a very pleasurable experience. It’s also nice to look forward to the day as a whole, rather than just the gig itself.

Advertisement