Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes and renewal quotes?

Options
  • 15-03-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm getting mad quotes this year, like 40% higher than last (which was of course itself higher than the previous year)

Nothing changed about my circumstances.

The only thing I can think of is a departed resident at the same eircode who has a recent claim and 'colourful' insurance history.
    Am I being paranoid in wondering if insurance companies blacklist certain eircodes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Insurance have skyrocketed for a lot of people so it could be just that. If you read other threads many quotes have increased like crazy the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

So, what car and age of car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Skatedude wrote: »
    So, what car and age of car?

1.6hdi, 2008 Citroen..
    My renewal quote is only marginally higher than last year thankfully, but it seems I'm of no interest to any other insurers!
    Mid 40s, Full NCB, never claimed etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Am I being paranoid in wondering if insurance companies blacklist certain eircodes?

Not certain eircodes but a lot now rate on small area which can lead to drastically different prices for addresses quite close geographically

http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2016reports/census2016smallareapopulationstatistics/

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Not certain eircodes but a lot now rate on small area which can lead to drastically different prices for addresses quite close geographically

http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2016reports/census2016smallareapopulationstatistics/

What put it in my mind was that the current insurers phoned a couple of weeks ago asking for my eircode, in order to prepare the renewal quote..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Fanny **** wrote: »

I live near a county boarder, I've noticed a difference in online quotes depending on which county i use with the address so it's not hard to see insurance companies taking this further when eircodes are available to aid them in pinpointing higher risk areas. Bet it wont reduce our quotes though.

pawrick wrote: »
    I live near a county boarder, I've noticed a difference in online quotes depending on which county i use with the address so it's not hard to see insurance companies taking this further when eircodes are available to aid them in pinpointing higher risk areas. Bet it wont reduce our quotes though.

That's one I hadn't considered.
    I'm in exactly the same boat, and the Eircode puts me in the 'wrong' county!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

pawrick wrote: »
    Bet it wont reduce our quotes though.

It will reduce some and increase others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

UsedToWait wrote: »
    1.6hdi, 2008 Citroen..
    My renewal quote is only marginally higher than last year thankfully, but it seems I'm of no interest to any other insurers!
    Mid 40s, Full NCB, never claimed etc etc..

So now it's 10 years old and somehow either suddenly unsafe or going to be used in a fake crash for cash. At least that's some of the excuses insurance companies want to use.

My mothers car went from 650 to 2400 when it went from 9 to 11 years old. No claims or change of details, they just said it was due to the age of the car, ffs, the car hasn't even hit 40k miles yet.

Advertisement