Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detailed House Plans from County Council

Options
  • 15-03-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

In the process of purchasing my first property and have had a builder in to price construction works.

One of his requests was for the house plans to help him price the work and make the work easier for him overall.

The vendor does not have the plans and suggested we contact the Clare county council to acquire these.

Can someone please explain to me the process here?
    Is there an online application for this?
    Do I need to make an appointment?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need to get somebody to draw the plans. This involves surveying the house, preparing existing and proposed plans along with a specification of the works you want done.

You will not get these from any council site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davemc1987

Thanks kceire,

Sorry, I'm confused. The house would have had plans drawn out when it was built? Would these not be made available by the council?

The works I want done are not structural, the works include some plumbing/electrical works inside the house. I assume the builder wants the plans so he can see the layout of the piping etc?

/Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 31 randomnumber1

davemc1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

In the process of purchasing my first property and have had a builder in to price construction works.

One of his requests was for the house plans to help him price the work and make the work easier for him overall.

The vendor does not have the plans and suggested we contact the Clare county council to acquire these.

Can someone please explain to me the process here?
    Is there an online application for this?
    Do I need to make an appointment?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

How old is the house? If it’s not too old then the original planning application (including plans) would be available online.

Try here:

http://www.eplanning.ie/ClareCC/searchtypes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

AFAIK Plans would have to be summited to planning attority if house was built in last 30 years. They are on file and a copy can be obtained for a fiver. However mostly these plans are very basic (front /side elevation) unless things have changed. Otherwise ask previous owner or builders.
    Joke: check the kitchen drawer!

House would have been built in 2002/03, its in a housing estate. I checked the above ePlanning link, there was no plans available for the house or the housing estate (even though the planning application for the builder was available but no files)....

I guess it might be better if I call Clare county council and ask them directly.

I checked the kitchen drawer, only a washing machine booklet unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

davemc1987 wrote: »
    House would have been built in 2002/03, its in a housing estate. I checked the above ePlanning link, there was no plans available for the house or the housing estate (even though the planning application for the builder was available but no files)....

I guess it might be better if I call Clare county council and ask them directly.

I checked the kitchen drawer, only a washing machine booklet unfortunately!

Ok, so you just want a copy of the existing plans that yo7 can maybe scribble over with the builder.

You will have to request the original planning file from the archives. Usually costs around €50 here on Dublin.

As the file is older than 2005/2007 ish then they are not scanned in due to copyright data rules. All applications after that are scanned in.

You can buy copies of the draw8mgs once the file has been removed from storage and is available at the public counter.

Bear in mind, they may not be detailed plans. Just purely planning drawings indicating room layouts etc possibly site drainage plans available, but plumbing and electrical most likely not on the plans.

Thanks, I will call them as request a copy of the plans.

Appreciate the help guys!

/Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Bear in mind that the as built layout of the house could be quite a bit different from that at planning stage.

Advertisement