Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Bulbs all over house blowing

Options
  • 15-03-2018 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi I've moved into a rented 2 story house. All ceiling bulbs are the large screw in type. Each room has 4 recessed light bulbs, except the bedrooms which have 1 each.
    Since I moved in, bulbs all over the house have been blowing when I turn on the light switch. At this stage its both upstairs and downstairs, in every room. Its an old house but was completely redone so looks and feels as new. So it would have been completely rewired.
    Also the house was recently repainted before I moved in, making me wonder if the painters had somehow disturbed the electrics?
    I will say it to the landlord, but he's a worrier and I'm a new tenant, and just don't want the hassle just yet.
    If someone could suggest potential reasons that it might be happening, at least could say it to him to calm him down!
    I have replaced some of the bulbs, with good bulbs and they've blown again so not dodgy bulbs
    Post edited by Stoner on

Comments

first of all I;m no electrician. However I had this same issue with bulbs lasting a week or two an/or blowing in an oven extractor.

Basically when the first one went (in over a year or two) I took it out went to woodies and then matched it with an identical HOB bulb....however though it was dimensionally the same and had the same threads etc, I picked a larger wattage than that which was advised. I only found this out 4 bulbs later when I read the inside of the hob and it actually gave the wattage.

are you getting the right wattage bulbs?? I know it seems mad but can you check? I;d imagine anything more sinister would trip a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

Thanks Rusty Cole for the suggestion- I did bring one of the original blown bulbs into the shop to get the new ones as I'd never had these large size bulbs before and wanted to buy long life ones etc. Also have stopped replacing them now, as most rooms in hse have 4 bulbs per room, just used 3 etc.
    At this stage 5 months in, will have had to replace 10 of these bulbs and they're not cheap!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is possible that this is due to voltage fluctuations / over voltage. I doubt it is due to the way the house is wired or anything to do with the painter.

What type of lamps are blowing? Are they the older tungsten filament type?

I would suggest that you try LED. Not only are they cheaper, they last longer and are less susceptible to voltage fluctuations. Ikea do a good deal on them. I tend to avoid Woodies as I either find the price or the quality disappointing (or both).

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I would rule out the re-wiring having any correlation with the lamp failure, in my view.

Possibly above standard voltage may cause this. Perhaps ask neighbours have they experienced the same (if they do perhaps contact ESB Networks to check the voltage, unless someone has a meter there to check it)

Perhaps try one CFL and one LED lamp to see how they perform.

Just my thoughts, no definitive answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement