Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Swapping UK Licence for Irish One

Options
  • 15-03-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I know boards has a few threads on this, but I can't find an answer to my specific question.

When you swap a UK licence for an Irish one, do the NDLS:

1) take a copy of the UK licence entitlements
    2) keep the UK licence on file and issue Irish licence
    3) take the UK licence and send it to the DVLA for retirement and issue Irish licence
    4) tell the DVLA nothing, issue Irish Licence, so technically you have two
    5) other

At some point in the next 5 years I'll need to swap mine, but if its a pain I'll put it off as long as I can. Is there a period where I wouldn't have my UK one while my Irish one was being issued and have to explain this should I be stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I know boards has a few threads on this, but I can't find an answer to my specific question.

When you swap a UK licence for an Irish one, do the NDLS:

1) take a copy of the UK licence entitlements
    2) keep the UK licence on file and issue Irish licence
    3) take the UK licence and send it to the DVLA for retirement and issue Irish licence
    4) tell the DVLA nothing, issue Irish Licence, so technically you have two
    5) other

At some point in the next 5 years I'll need to swap mine, but if its a pain I'll put it off as long as I can. Is there a period where I wouldn't have my UK one while my Irish one was being issued and have to explain this should I be stopped?

It's a quick and painless process really. You have to surrender the UK licence and NDLS then check with DVLA that the surrendered licence is valid. NDLS give you a photocopy of the UK licence and a letter stating that you have exchanged your UK licence that you can carry round until you receive yout Irish licence. This letter will also have your new Irish driver number. You should get the same entitlements on the Irish licence as you have on your UK one. If you want to keep some categories such as C1/C1E then you will need a medical cert. For some reason NDLS would not transfer D1/D1E for me, something to do with the max weights or lengths being different between UK and Ireland, although they look the same to me!

Remember, as it currently stands with Brexit, UK licences will no longer be recognised in Ireland (or elsewhere in the EU) after 31/03/2019. No doubt a driver licence recognition and exchange agreement will be reached at some stage, but its anyone's guess when that might be.

Advertisement