Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What style of house is this?

Options
  • 14-03-2018 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Would anyone be able to tell me if this particular style of bungalow has a name or description or does it just fall under the cottage/bungalow type house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bull McCabe.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this particular style of bungalow has a name or description or does it just fall under the cottage/bungalow type house?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I suppose it’s just a bungalow with a hipped roof so maybe just a hipped roof bungalow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Single storey dwelling (bungalow) with high hipped roof.

Basically a bungalow with hipped roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was always described to me as 1950’s hip gabled roof bungalow

I suppose your right. There seems to be no end to them around the country. Was the hipped roof just to give extra high ceilings? Seems like a lot of wasted space and expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I suppose your right. There seems to be no end to them around the country. Was the hipped roof just to give extra high ceilings? Seems like a lot of wasted space and expense when the majority of them I’m assuming we’re built in the 70’s.

They were well established by the 1970’s
    1950’s

I wonder would they be a nice house to extend or modernize? Any of them I’ve seen were just kept original. Never seen one renovated so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I suppose your right. There seems to be no end to them around the country. Was the hipped roof just to give extra high ceilings? Seems like a lot of wasted space and expense

Compared to what? A gable end?

The opposite way of looking at it is that a gable end is a wasted wall. No openings, no habitation, no higher storey to support.

You'd also need taller chimneys as they're where the ridgeline would be.

Lumen wrote: »
    Compared to what? A gable end?

The opposite way of looking at it is that a gable end is a wasted wall. No openings, no habitation, no higher storey to support.

You'd also need taller chimneys as they're where the ridgeline would be.

That’s true. I suppose I’m looking at them as having an over designed roof over the more straight forward gable but I can see where block work would be a waste that high up.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

There's no particular name for these, they are typical of the type of nondescript builder-designed bungalow seen all around the country. They are very similar, but the second one looks nicer due to being better maintained, the addition of shutters on the windows, and the surrounding greenery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement