Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics in UCC.. worried?

Options
  • 14-03-2018 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I’m currently in 6th year and have physics in UCC down as my first option in my CAO. Aiming for around 570 points in my LC. I love physics but am starting to get worried that it will be too hard for me. I was always sure that physics was for me but now I’m doubting my ability to do well in it. I do applied maths and am hoping for a H1 in physics & applied maths and a H2 in honours maths. I’m a hard worker but don’t want to feel out of my depth. Anyone with experience with the course? Will an interest in physics be enough to get me through the more difficult parts? :3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

I'm in first year of this course. No denying there is a lot of work involved so you will want to have a great interest to keep you going when you're seeing friends in other courses have much more free time as you do.

You said you're doing physics, applied maths and honours maths - if you can get near the marks your aiming for in these then you'll be flying it - first semester will be mostly revision for you, only thing you'll be worrying about is not zoning out because you'll already be so familiar with the material. I didn't do applied maths and found myself at quite a disadvantage to those that did, so keep up the work there and you'll have no worries.

You seem to be really interested and I think you'd get on very well, definitely don't hesitate to pick physics if it's what you want. Let me know if you've any questions about the course I'll do my best to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Curiouscircus

teafanatic wrote: »
    I'm in first year of this course. No denying there is a lot of work involved so you will want to have a great interest to keep you going when you're seeing friends in other courses have much more free time as you do.

You said you're doing physics, applied maths and honours maths - if you can get near the marks your aiming for in these then you'll be flying it - first semester will be mostly revision for you, only thing you'll be worrying about is not zoning out because you'll already be so familiar with the material. I didn't do applied maths and found myself at quite a disadvantage to those that did, so keep up the work there and you'll have no worries.

You seem to be really interested and I think you'd get on very well, definitely don't hesitate to pick physics if it's what you want. Let me know if you've any questions about the course I'll do my best to help! :)

Thank you! Do you have any idea what most people do once they graduate? I’m still unsure whether I’d like to go into research or something that’s more engineering-based. (I also have engineering down on my CAO as my second choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

Thank you! Do you have any idea what most people do once they graduate? I’m still unsure whether I’d like to go into research or something that’s more engineering-based. (I also have engineering down on my CAO as my second choice)

As far as I know you can do a masters in engineering after your degree and become a qualified engineer, I'm not exactly sure how it works though, you might have to do a conversion course first.

Other than becoming a physics professor, you could do research in Tyndall across the road, you'll probably get to go there on a tour at some point, the stuff they do there is very interesting.

People often say that you can go into IT/finance or any area where having strong maths skills is an advantage. Of course you might be at a disadvantage to those who did actual computer science or finance degrees.

Advertisement