Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tram "Etiquette" ??

Options
  • 13-03-2018 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭

The question marks are because I'm not sure such a thing exists.

I get on the LUAS at Heuston. I think the last time I got the first one that came was about three weeks ago - on average you wait 2-3 trams before there is one that you can get on.

That's not my issue - however, it's more that clearly people are waiting 10-12 minutes at Heuston and seeing trams go, so clearly no more people can physically/safely fit on that tram.

What then posesses idiots to try to barge their way on at Museum and Smithfield ??? At Museum you can actually see the crowds at Heuston being left behind.

Some **** attempted to get on at Museum the other week with a guitar strapped to his back! On a packed tram, at 7.52am!!!

Is it a combination of selfishness, stupidity or what ????

And do not get me started on the woman who asked people to get off at Smithfield so he and her buggy could get on!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

One of my bugbears are the people who insist on keeping rucksacks on their backs. They don't seem to care that they're pushing them into the chests or faces of whoever is standing behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

tcif wrote: »
    One of my bugbears are the people who insist on keeping rucksacks on their backs. They don't seem to care that they're pushing them into the chests or faces of whoever is standing behind them.

Had one of them the other day - whatever was it in was threatening to remove my shoulder blade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

What then posesses idiots to try to barge their way on at Museum and Smithfield ???

Maybe they're on their way to work?

Pelvis wrote: »
    Maybe they're on their way to work?

Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tcif wrote:

Happened to me once. As the backslash pushed against me the owner found it pulling down on him and a nonchalant look on my face as he turned around to e what was pulling it down. He soon took it off, such is our heavy earth gravity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yes, you take your rucksacks off your back.

As regards pushing on, not sure I really agree. Many people are way too timid about this; rush hour mass transit is going to be fairly jammed. There's often a combination of people not utilising all the space on the tram (moving down the corridor) and not willing to pack in enough. This happens in other large cities; in Tokyo they have staff that will ensure the metro trains are as tightly packed as possible.

Amirani wrote: »
    Yes, you take your rucksacks off your back.

As regards pushing on, not sure I really agree. Many people are way too timid about this; rush hour mass transit is going to be fairly jammed. There's often a combination of people not utilising all the space on the tram (moving down the corridor) and not willing to pack in enough. This happens in other large cities; in Tokyo they have staff that will ensure the metro trains are as tightly packed as possible.

You say timid, I say polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

tcif wrote:

I always take mine off and holding it down in front of me...

Zipppy wrote: »
    I always take mine off and holding it down in front of me...

I carry mine at the side, like a shopping bag. It's only right!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'll take rucksacks on backs any day in preference to those who decide that a busy tram/bus/train is an ideal opportunity to masticate a messy smelly sandwich/roll/kebab etc.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not much problem with backpacks, it's the suitcase some people wear on the back and the same said people are incapable of standing still while whalloping you in the back (guitar carrying guy falls in to the same category!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't use the Luas a lot, but when I do pretty much every single time I go to get off I'm faced with a wall of bodies (mostly pensioners) before I've even managed to set foot on the platform. How difficult is it to understand that you'll get on the tram a lot quicker if you move out of the way and let alighting passengers off first?

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't use the Luas a lot, but when I do pretty much every single time I go to get off I'm faced with a wall of bodies (mostly pensioners) before I've even managed to set foot on the platform. How difficult is it to understand that you'll get on the tram a lot quicker if you move out of the way and let alighting passengers off first?

Better to fight your way to within an inch of those doors, handbags at the ready, than risk having to stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

I always make a point to stand to the side of the door to let people. This is, however, usually accompanied by people pushing me forward. I can usually hold my ground, but I was once pushed into someone who was getting off who then of course gave me the dirty look that someone behind me deserved.

When I have the time to, I'll usually just walk from Heuston to work now. I just can't stand the overcrowding and impatience of people unless I really need to. I'd stay on the bus, but walking is faster than it trying to get through traffic on the north quays ever since cross city started.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

This happens at Charlemont every evening. I know they want to get home but tram loads of people were left behind at Stephen's Green and Harcourt so forcing your way on helps nobody.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I always think if those people sitting in the accessibility seats inside the doors would just stand there would be so much more room for people to get on at stops like Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Was just coming on here to post this.

Basically I've just had sex with a girl wearing a backpack on the Luas . She got on and backed into me,I stood my ground so she forced more which resulted in me pushing forward

#metoo

Since our child was conceived on the Luas,I expect her to be born around 20 minutes after she is due.

Least it wasn't the bus, a few could come together

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Was a woman at rush hour this morning blocking the entire width of a door with an empty buggy when I was trying to get off at hueston, too busy jabbering on her phone to notice what's going on around her. Usually a loud, polite "excuse me" does it when I'm trying to get by people, but I actually had to tap her on her shoulder to move a bit. Of course once past her, you have the gomers and eejits with their wheely samsonite bags trying to get on the tram as I'm trying to get off. I don't know where common decency has gone in this world!

I carry a small backpack to work with my lunch & ebook, but always put it on the floor between my legs/feet so it's not taking up any standing room or annoying people. It's not rocket science like.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

But the floor is filthy?

• Advertisement

I don't know where common decency has gone in this world!

It's left the country - I swear in the past few years people have become more "ignorant" to whats going on around them, and not just public transport - walking 3 abreast down the street and not one person hanging back to let other people pass is a personal bug bear
    Buses, luas, trains are just a small part of it.
    On the bus the other day and it was fairly full, no seats but not packed, 2 old ladies probably in their 70's got on. They were within inches of two people sitting down in a seat that has the sign "Please give up this seat..." - one guy reading the newspaper and a young girl staring intently at her phone. Neither moved their head up but you could spot the glance. Then again there was plenty of other people not making a move either

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

No it's not. I have a light coloured backpack and it doesn't look much different to when I bought it last year. Also, it's a bag, I don't eat my dinner off it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's left the country - I swear in the past few years people have become more "ignorant" to whats going on around them, and not just public transport - walking 3 abreast down the street and not one person hanging back to let other people pass is a personal bug bear
    Buses, luas, trains are just a small part of it.
    On the bus the other day and it was fairly full, no seats but not packed, 2 old ladies probably in their 70's got on. They were within inches of two people sitting down in a seat that has the sign "Please give up this seat..." - one guy reading the newspaper and a young girl staring intently at her phone. Neither moved their head up but you could spot the glance. Then again there was plenty of other people not making a move either

Just had that this morning - two strapping Chinese lads practically ran to get a seat almost knocking an elderly lady flying. I was taking a seat as I saw this and on seeing the lady I stood up - and one of them tried to sit down!!!!

Bloody cheek!!!

Advertisement