Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple family adoptions

Options
  • 13-03-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

This is my first visit to the Adoption Boards, coming from Genealogy.

Yesterday, in a chat with my cousin, he informed me that his mother, and her siblings were all adopted. He said that 'as far as he knew' my father and his brother were natural children of my Grandparents, but I'm not sure if he was only telling me what he thought I wanted to hear. Either way, he was far from certain of the truth of that.

My grandparents were married in 1909 and my father was born in 1922, following a number of adoptions, one of which was this cousin's mother, born in 1916. Another sister was born in 1920. It's not known when the other brother was born, whether younger or older. So that still leaves me with questions and doubts about my father's history and identity.

He told me that someone had found a record of his mother's adoption at HSE HQ in Dublin. Not having had any knowledge of searches regarding adoptions before, I don't know anything about what records are available, where they are, or what one must do to see them.

We've both checked all names and possible variations for the people involved, some dates of birth are known, most not. None of these names appeared in GRO, Familysearch or Ancestry.

On the basis that there are 4 adoptions, possibly 6, and not necessarily all from the same source, where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DamoRed wrote: »
    On the basis that there are 4 adoptions, possibly 6, and not necessarily all from the same source, where do I start?
    Perhaps check for relatives dying around that time, who had kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Legal adoption did not come into Ireland till 1952 adoption act, i would suggest contacting AAI and asking was an adoption order made in there names, they could have been boarded out and took on foster family name but not legally.

Advertisement