Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium Shipping of bike

Options
  • 13-03-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

The company i'm buying off have tried to get me to buy premium shipping as an extra which they say is in a bigger bike box, which is more secure.
    Otherwise it will be in the box that the bike is shipped to them in.
    Its 25 euros more for this service.
    How do courier companies usually handle bikes?
    I believe DHL is the courier. Could i claim off them for damages if their is any.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Maybe consider buying from a different company that doesn't try to charge you extra for the safe delivery of goods you have paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lemming wrote: »
    Maybe consider buying from a different company that doesn't try to charge you extra for the safe delivery of goods you have paid for?

I've already bought the bike.
    It was only when i asked how long the delivery would be, that the question about premium shipping came up.
    I would be under the impression that they and DHL should do their best to make it arrive safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

"Dear Sirs
    I refer to my recent payment for bike. I had assumed that as you trade as a well regarded company that delivery would be done professionally with no risk to me if it did not; i.e. it was a matter between you and delivery company.

If that is not the case please refund my card in full
    Regards

ford2600 wrote: »
    "Dear Sirs
    I refer to my recent payment for bike. I had assumed that as you trade as a well regarded company that delivery would be done professionally with no risk to me if it did not; i.e. it was a matter between you and delivery company.

If that is not the case please refund my card in full
    Regards
    That's pretty much what i just sent them except for the refund part. 
    I'll await their reply.
    TBH the process of buying off these now has become a bit a turn off, other than the bike been at a good price.
    I also had to pay the paypal charges of 21 Euro and i've never seen that before. 
    I know they had some good reviews here. 
    Bunnyhop.de

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Compare and contrast.

I ordered a Nukeproof Mega from CRC last month. It was posted courier, no faffing about with extra charges (and given how much I paid for it I'd have seen red if they' tried it on with an extra special cardboard box charge) and delivered safe & sound in a big cardboard box two days later upon notification of having been shipped. All I had to do was open one end, and slide the bike out. Had the box shown signs of being beaten, I'd have been inspecting the bike thoroughly and if need be, sending it back at CRCs expense as they would have failed to honour their obligations to me (or blame the couriers, either way 'their problem to sort').

In your case, I'd be inclined to seek a full refund & cancelling of the order as their attempt at charging you for extra packing says to me they have either zero faith in their own deliveries not being banged about and/or zero faith in their contracted couriers and/or can't be bothered holding their contracted courier service to account or just trying to grab some extra pennies hoping you'll just say "what's an extra €25".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I find Canyon bikes to be great value (and have three of them) but I've never felt as robbed as I did when I saw my 20 euro Canyon "Bikeguard" box

I sent them a mail stating i expected the normal shipping to be enough considering i paid 40 Euro for it and that i'd expect DHL to handle it with care also.
    I'll just have to make sure the Wife inspects the bike box once its delivered and if their is any issues refuse delivery.
    I've paid with paypal so i should have some cover with that.
    If the box is damaged and it somehow get past my Wife's attention, i just wont open it and take it from there.
    I'm probably reading too much into and i'm sure it will be fine, it was just the email saying the bike will be packaged safer, set off an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I also had to pay the paypal charges of 21 Euro and i've never seen that before. 

I'd be querying that. Paypal charges are borne by the sender for 'Family and Friends' payments. 'Merchant' payments charges are borne by the merchant. If they don't refund that 21 Euro, I'd suggest you raise an issue with Paypal.

Advertisement