Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless (not smart) light switch?

Options
  • 13-03-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

The 6 ceiling spot lights in my living room are controlled by a single switch which is stupidly located behind the door close to the hinges.
    So in order to turn on the light, you have to open the door, walk in the dark room, close the door and feel your way on the wall to reach the switch.

What I was hoping could be done is to replace or bypass it with a wireless switch that could be popped on an easier to access location.

Is that possible at all?
    I'd be hiring an electrician to do the work obv.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

MaudL wrote: »
    The 6 ceiling spot lights in my living room are controlled by a single switch which is stupidly located behind the door close to the hinges.
    So in order to turn on the light, you have to open the door, walk in the dark room, close the door and feel your way on the wall to reach the switch.

What I was hoping could be done is to replace or bypass it with a wireless switch that could be popped on an easier to access location.

Is that possible at all?
    I'd be hiring an electrician to do the work obv.

Thanks!

You can get the switch moved to the other side of the door. Is it a solid wall or plasterboard wall?

How about swapping the door hinges to the other side so it opens the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

alan4cult wrote: »
    You can get the switch moved to the other side of the door. Is it a solid wall or plasterboard wall?

It's plasterboard, but I was hoping to avoid the expense and mess that come with chasing, hence the wireless idea...
    alan4cult wrote: »
    How about swapping the door hinges to the other side so it opens the other way?

I wouldn't swap the door hinges as the other side has the light switches for the kitchen :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

MaudL wrote:
    Is that possible at all? I'd be hiring an electrician to do the work obv.

Yes. You can get a switch that operates using FM and is changed by kenetic energy charging a capacitor.

Can't remember the name. I posted about them before. Phibsboro electric sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Why not install an additional switch on the wall outside the door. Your electrician could easily arrange this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cerco wrote: »
    Why not install an additional switch on the wall outside the door. Your electrician could easily arrange this.

An additional switch would be ideal. Turn it Into
    A two way switching set up back to back with each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes. You can get a switch that operates using FM and is changed by kenetic energy charging a capacitor.

Can't remember the name. I posted about them before. Phibsboro electric sell them.
    Eaton do a product similar aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

MrMac84 wrote: »
    An additional switch would be ideal. Turn it Into
    A two way switching set up back to back with each other
    There will be problems doing this if it is a dimmer switch....
    If it were me id get the Ikea set up - youd get the six lights, controller (you can screw this to the wall where you want to locate the new switch) and hub for ~100 euro - it will prob cost most of that to get an electrician to your front door.
    ps: Apologies, I know you said "not smart" - I couldn't help myself! But it does meet the wireless requirement.

Advertisement