Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shares to buy and hold 10/15 yrs plus

Options
  • 13-03-2018 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Would like to know what people think would be the best shares to buy and hold over the next t'en /fifteen years plus. I know someone who thinks Telsa will be greater than Apple. Who knows. I would be more along the thinking of Warren buffet the coca colas of this world tried and tested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Not being cheeky but if anyone new that they probably wouldn't share it. Anyone who claims otherwise is 99% likely to be a scam artist or liar.

Might be best to look for sectors, funds etc. that interest you. You need to figure out your risk tolerance also e.g. would you be happy to play high risk to earn a great return but atbthe risk of losing it all or vice versa.

Thanks,

PHG

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I agree, its completely open ended and basically an unanswerable question! Here are the 2018 picks: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823440 Check back in 10/15 years to see if they were right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I agree, its completely open ended and basically an unanswerable question! Here are the 2018 picks: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823440 Check back in 10/15 years to see if they were right :D

Some of the 2017 ones were bang on the money, 2018 has turned into a junior mining thread. It’ll settle yet once some free cash flow appears : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

Why not just invest in an ETF from Vanguard, Blackrock or similar that tracks a large index (i.e. S&P500 etc.) ?

- keeps the costs down, let someone else do the work etc.

Very few people beat the larger indices over the medium to long term :)

(given you've mentioned Warren Buffet, take a look at how that fund manager did that bet against Buffet regarding whether or not he could beat the S&P over 10 years)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

PHG wrote: »
    Not being cheeky but if anyone new that they probably wouldn't share it. Anyone who claims otherwise is 99% likely to be a scam artist or liar.

Might be best to look for sectors, funds etc. that interest you. You need to figure out your risk tolerance also e.g. would you be happy to play high risk to earn a great return but atbthe risk of losing it all or vice versa.

Thanks,

PHG

Think about what you said. Your never going to buy the whole company just a piece. So you think Pepsi will performances well over ten years. Its an opinion based on history , management plans consumer projections etc. So you buy. But dont want to tell anyone else ? Why ? If people start to think like you wont your investment go up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Think about what you said. Your never going to buy the whole company just a piece. So you think Pepsi will performances well over ten years. Its an opinion based on history , management plans consumer projections etc. So you buy. But dont want to tell anyone else ? Why ? If people start to think like you wont your investment go up ?

Are you going to invest all your money in one stock or a percentage?

Why wouldn't you want to tell anyone.

1. If you want to scale into an investment meaning it could cost you more over time
    2. You may want to invest a larger amount in 6 months so need to wait to accumulate more cash to reduce fees
    3. If its a non liquid stock people can put pressure on it to drop the price, you get nervous and sell at a cheaper price and stock goes up again (very unlikely one). Emotional attachment to any investment is one of the hardest things to get over.

You are correct it is an opinion, but it needs to be your opinion, not mine or anyone elses. The same reason for investing in 10 stocks may be brilliant for 5 stocks and terrible for 5 more that end in 10 years time.

Why not consider looking at more shorter term investments that you could control more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

PHG wrote: »
    Not being cheeky but if anyone new that they probably wouldn't share it.
    Thanks,

PHG

With all due respect I dont really agree with this theory.

Say I hold shares in XYZ INC. why would i not want people to know its a good stock? I want people to know so they buy. Higher demand usually leads to higher stock price....so my shares are worth more.

The key part is to be in before you tip the stock.

Or short if you are trashing it (like some large hedge funds do)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Based on the dividend adjusted PEG Ratio the following are likely* solid investments for a 10/15 year time frame.

Royal Bank of Canada
    Starbucks

A ratio of 1 is fair value. SBUX is currently 1.14 and RY is 1.11. Not bargains but for me the best value I can see currently.
    SBUX would need to drop to $51 to be fair value. RY down to $70.

A $5,000 investment in Starbucks 15 years ago with dividend reinvested returned $49,335.
    A $5,000 investment in Royal Bank of Canada in the same timeframe returned $33,432.

* Needless to say past performance is not a guarantee and there was some major dips along the way but per Buffett, his approach once invested is 'benign neglect bordering on sloth' i.e. just let the investment do it's thing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

When you buy shares directly in an individual company is there always the option given to automatically reinvest dividends in new share purchases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

When you buy shares directly in an individual company is there always the option given to automatically reinvest dividends in new share purchases ?

No, sadly not.

I personally, would rather that option with all shares, particularly when I buy in a foreign currency as small foreign dividends can be costly to convert and lodge.

Actually, I don't think that very many companies offer this opportunity, now I think about it.

You need to watch out for companies providing DRIP / Dividend SCRIP type schemes schemes.

The likes of Lloyds Banking Group (LBG on LSE) offer a DRIP, while CRH is offering a SCRIP alongside it's next dividend payout (and I think has done the same the last couple of times with divs).

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

This was the Buffet 10 year long bet mentioned earlier.

http://longbets.org/362/

It said in the comments that they invested in Vanguard Admiral. Perhaps that would be good long term investment.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/admiral-shares

**I know little in this area, just posting for information and following for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Daddy Ireland

Royal Dutch Shell. Reliable 6% dividend, Oil price has a better chance of increasing as reducing over 10/15 years. Have clearly stated intention of getting a bigger footing in India. Safe way of playing emerging markets. I really like this share. Have not invested yet but very very close to doing so. I don't accept all this old talk about oil and electric vehicles taking over. As sound as you'll get. About to lodge money to Degiro to purchase a large tranche.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Stockbrokers always recommend shares, but invest themselves in Investment Trusts.

Consider ARIX or SYNCONA??

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Tesla

Advertisement