Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Co. Sligo natives / pub advice

Options
  • 12-03-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My friends and I are heading to Co. Sligo for Paddy's weekend. We'll be hiking around Benbulben but planning to be finished before the big game on Saturday:) Is there a pub anywhere around there (not Sligo town) where we can watch the game? Maybe anything in Grange?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Henry's bar and restaurant is on the road out to Grange - nice grub there.

Not familiar with Grange itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just two pubs in Grange. Lang's and Moran's. They'll both have the Match on. There's a parade on that day so they'll be wedged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Langs has serious food and Morans is a nice wee pub! Could do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Out of those two pubs I'd pick Morans, better craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Great, thanks. Anywhere else maybe off the beaten track? We are staying nearby Lisadell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

McLeans bar is on a crossroads between Grange and Lisadell, it's a pretty much middle of nowhere, so fits 'off the beaten track' - that's if it's still open.
    There used to be a few pubs in Carney, not sure if they're still operational though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

McLeans bar is on a crossroads between Grange and Lisadell, it's a pretty much middle of nowhere, so fits 'off the beaten track' - that's if it's still open. There used to be a few pubs in Carney, not sure if they're still operational though.

Laura's in Carney is now an Italian restaurant and last I heard Batty's was still open..

Ya. McLeans and Battys are still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lenan

I'd highly recommend Langs for food.
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Is Ellen's Pub in Maugherow still open?? I remember going there years ago, now that's in the ar*e hole of nowhere!!

• Advertisement

Black Bart wrote: »
    Is Ellen's Pub in Maugherow still open?? I remember going there years ago, now that's in the ar*e hole of nowhere!!

Still going. I've been there twice but I'd be hard pressed to find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What about Cliffony? I often had a few sessions in that spot I think it's Harrison's..

Black Bart wrote: »

We're staying in B&B near that place and planned to go there for a few at night. Bad idea?

lenan wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend Langs for food.
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Sligo

Thanks! Looking forward to the weekend:) been in Sligo before but this time is Co. Sligo rather than the town.

fibix wrote: »
    We're staying in B&B near that place and planned to go there for a few at night. Bad idea?

It's a great pub. It's just that you'd need a designated driver ift the B&B is not within walking distance.

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's a great pub. It's just that you'd need a designated driver ift the B&B is not within walking distance.

Ah yeah, I thought as much. The B&B owner offered to drop us off or else we've a non drinker in the group. Hoping for a good craic:)

How did you get on, OP?

sligojoek wrote: »
    How did you get on, OP?
    Great, thanks! The weather was amazing although bitter cold but so sunny and dry. Went to Morans for the game, don't think this side of the country is much into the rugby;) The place was busy-ish, we got cosy seats by the fire. Dinner at Eithna's in Mullaghmore out of this world!
    Then the Ellen's pub... hmm. What can I say to be diplomatic;) There was max 10 people including a kid or two, after 10pm. We went in and swiftly left. Went back to the other pub in Grange, stayed for one as it was 3/4 empty and went back to b&b as we were wrecked from the hike earlier and stuffed after dinner. Then next day off to Strandhill for the happy end at Voya seaweed baths and the local market. All in all great weekend, highly recommend Sligo, beautiful part of the country. 
    Thanks all for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

fibix wrote: »
    Great, thanks! The weather was amazing although bitter cold but so sunny and dry. Went to Morans for the game, don't think this side of the country is much into the rugby;) The place was busy-ish, we got cosy seats by the fire. Dinner at Eithna's in Mullaghmore out of this world!
    Then the Ellen's pub... hmm. What can I say to be diplomatic;) There was max 10 people including a kid or two, after 10pm. We went in and swiftly left. Went back to the other pub in Grange, stayed for one as it was 3/4 empty and went back to b&b as we were wrecked from the hike earlier and stuffed after dinner. Then next day off to Strandhill for the happy end at Voya seaweed baths and the local market. All in all great weekend, highly recommend Sligo, beautiful part of the country. 
    Thanks all for the help :)

How much does the happy end at Voya cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Ellen’s pub. Not surprised there were only 10 in. To be fair, that’s busy for Ellen’s. It’s a rural community pub. If there had of been a community event or fund raiser, that’s when you can expect to see it in its full glory. Long may it run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Are there any pubs near the Knocknarea Arena in Sligo IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Are there any pubs near the Knocknarea Arena in Sligo IT?

Not really within walking distance. The Brewery is not too far but I think it only opens sometimes. The next nearest would be O Neil's on the Mall or The Village in Cartron. Two opposite directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the closest would be in the clarion hotel other than that its back into town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the closest would be in the clarion hotel other than that its back into town

Not being pedantic but, the Clarion is now called the Clayton Hotel. Total strangers would be unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

red sean wrote: »
    Not being pedantic but, the Clarion is now called the Clayton Hotel. Total strangers would be unaware.

This is true, a few years ago, an extremely stressed and red faced visitor pulled up in his car to ask me "Where's the Best Western Hotel?". He'd been round the town numerous times asking and no-one knew.

londonred wrote: »
    How much does the happy end at Voya cost?

Just saw that. It's included in the price ;)

Advertisement