Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose the right cycle computer.

Options
  • 12-03-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭

I've a road bike and do weekend only spins Oct to Mar with the odd evening spin thrown in during the summer.

I busted a knee a couple of years back so really want to focus on efficient cadence.

I've a Garmin cadence sensor on the crankshaft but my new phone doesn't seem to play well with Ant+.

What I'd like to do is buy a wireless bike computer which will give me a decent readout of cadence and perhaps one or two more metrics such as distance travelled and average speed for the trip (I guess I'd need to also get a Garmin speed sensor if I want the latter info) which I can view on the go.

I have Strava and GPS etc on my phone which is always with me but I don't leave the screen on as it eats battery. Its great for tracking long spins (4.5 hour spin yesterday only depleted the battery 27%) but I don't get any of the above info on the go which I'd like to have, particularly cadence info on steep climbs.

Any suggestions as to what unit I should purchase? I'm brand agnostic and don't need built in GPS or even the ability to upload data from the device to Strava as the phone does a grand enough job of collecting average pace, distance covered, elevation etc.

My budget is sub €100 and preferably a good bit below that.

The only other preference I can think of is that it's rechargeable via micro USB rather than having to replace batteries.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most of the modern computers (Garmin/Wahoo etc) are €200+ so your selection will be a little limited.

Cateyes Strada would be in budget:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cateye-strada-digital-wireless-speed-cadence/rp-prod114050
    Basic but if it works as advertised wouldnt be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I don't have it, but its a budget version which might suit. I moved away from Garmin to wahoo but at the higher price point.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/cycling-computers-gps/garmin-edge-25-gps-cycling-computer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some of the Bryton computers come in that range. GRand when they work, but I've had some just die and some also just troop on regardless of what they go through.

Keep an eye on the adverts section here. Used Garmin 500s come up frequently, and similar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

ED E wrote: »
    Most of the modern computers (Garmin/Wahoo etc) are €200+ so your selection will be a little limited.

Cateyes Strada would be in budget:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cateye-strada-digital-wireless-speed-cadence/rp-prod114050
    Basic but if it works as advertised wouldnt be terrible.

Not the greatest recommendation in the world!! If it works as advertised it wouldn't be terrible!! :D

Luxman wrote: »
    I don't have it, but its a budget version which might suit. I moved away from Garmin to wahoo but at the higher price point.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/cycling-computers-gps/garmin-edge-25-gps-cycling-computer

At the limit of my budget but if it does what it's supposed to it might make sense to go this route as I already have a Gamin cadence sensor.

Thanks Luxman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your in no real panic then buy an iGsport from Aliexpress for €65(can take 4/5 weeks for delivery) Has many of the same functions the Garmin 520 has and is Ant+ and Bluetooth 4.0 enabled so will work with the vast majority of HRM/Cadence/speed sensors on the market. A mate of mine bought one and its an impressive piece of kit for the price, does everything my Garmin 520 does (the Garmin does have additional functions but for the everyday leisure cyclist this has everything you could need) My mate says iGsport has an app that he uploads to which he then transfers to Strava.

iGsport IGS50E

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not the greatest recommendation in the world!! If it works as advertised it wouldn't be terrible!! :D

Only because I've no experience with them - used plenty of their lights over the years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I use the moov now tracker with coaching, I find it good.

If your in no real panic then buy an iGsport from Aliexpress for €65(can take 4/5 weeks for delivery) Has many of the same functions the Garmin 520 has and is Ant+ and Bluetooth 4.0 enabled so will work with the vast majority of HRM/Cadence/speed sensors on the market. A mate of mine bought one and its an impressive piece of kit for the price, does everything my Garmin 520 does (the Garmin does have additional functions but for the everyday leisure cyclist this has everything you could need) My mate says iGsport has an app that he uploads to which he then transfers to Strava.

iGsport IGS50E

That's a brilliant option Cee-Jay-Cee, I'm not in a panic at all and it looks like great value at €65 landed inc an F mount for the handlebars which I'd want.

Before your recommendation I'd read up on the Bryton Rider 10 units which look even more impressive as in addition to the functionality of the iGPSPORT-IGS50E (GPS, Cadence, Distance, a built in Barometer, both Bluetooth and Ant+ etc) they also auto sync with Strava and have a clever IOS/Android app which allows you to customise both the content and layout of the data you want to see on the units screen to your preference which I like the idea of.

The downside is the cost for a new Rider 10 on Amazon + an F mount was coming in at bang on the €100 mark but then I had a quick look in the Amazon Warehouse and they have some Rider 10's there for just €34 which have been returned but are in "as new" condition (there may be slight cosmetic marks) with the original packaging etc and a no quibble guarantee from Amazon to return within 30 days if not satisfied with free delivery to Dublin (I'm a Prime member) which I snapped up along with a compatible F Mount for €10 so for €44 I should be up and running by the weekend.

Bryton-Rider-101520897029.jpg

Here's the Amazon Warehouse deals - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B073WQM3GZ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I've used Amazon Warehouse several times in the past and thus far everything I've purchased which was "Used - very good" has been in "as new" condition when I got it and has generally appeared to be a case of someone opening up what they ordered, changing their mind and sending it back.

Fingers crossed my luck holds again this time. If it does I think I'll have snagged a bargain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just be aware as well that you could be stung for VAT, Customs and Collection Charge on the Aliexpress Option. You may not, but if budget is tight you should probably factor in at least the possibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement