Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for jobs & CV

Options
  • 12-03-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently at the end of my teaching degre, I will be finished in mid-May and I have some questions in regards to obtaining a job for the coming academic year.

When are jobs typically advertised for next year?
    Where are the best places to look for jobs? (I am joined up to educationposts and regularly check for content)
    Is it worth handing in a CV into my local schools in the coming weeks? (If so, when? I'm afraid if I go in too early I will be forgotten)

Also, in relation to a CV, is there anything to watch out for/include when writing? Or where could I receive some advice on this? I am also unsure what approach to take with a cover letter as I am still completing my course.

I understand these are a lot of questions but if anyone could help with even one of them it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

1. Depends on what type of contract you are after. Maternity leaves etc are often advertised as they come up and RPT which is what you want as this can amount to CID- interviews are normally June/ July/ August. Re-interviews are often held around June/July.

Hand in your CV and if you can ask to meet the principal or the DP. Just introduce who you are and if you're from the local area and say that you're looking for subbing work. You won't be forgotten at all but if any jobs come up for those schools make sure you apply. Look at educationposts.ie every day.

With your cover letter just detail your strengths and experiences both inside and outside of school and the extra curricular interests that you have and what you can bring to the school in terms of your skills. You can say that you will be graduating and ready for work from X date. Always look up the principal and get their name right instead of Dear Sir/Madam. It makes a difference. Look up the school as well and what they are involved in most especially in their community- Green Flag/ Active Flag etc.

Most of the info will be on your CV anyway and a lot of schools are going down the application route now to make it easier on them.

Overall just be yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    1. Depends on what type of contract you are after. Maternity leaves etc are often advertised as they come up and RPT which is what you want as this can amount to CID- interviews are normally June/ July/ August. Re-interviews are often held around June/July.

Hand in your CV and if you can ask to meet the principal or the DP. Just introduce who you are and if you're from the local area and say that you're looking for subbing work. You won't be forgotten at all but if any jobs come up for those schools make sure you apply. Look at educationposts.ie every day.

With your cover letter just detail your strengths and experiences both inside and outside of school and the extra curricular interests that you have and what you can bring to the school in terms of your skills. You can say that you will be graduating and ready for work from X date. Always look up the principal and get their name right instead of Dear Sir/Madam. It makes a difference. Look up the school as well and what they are involved in most especially in their community- Green Flag/ Active Flag etc.

Most of the info will be on your CV anyway and a lot of schools are going down the application route now to make it easier on them.

Overall just be yourself.

Thank you for this reply, it has been helpful.

Advertisement